Where are the schedules?

[quote="Carl.Gould"]Well....I'm not sure exactly how you'd do that. In your example, I think you've glossed over some important details. If a user simply browses for tags he/she is interested in receiving alarms on and checks them, how is the order of delivery defined? Also, a system like the one you describe has no escalation.
[/quote]

yeah I dont know Carl. I thought I explained it pretty well. Im just relaying to you guys what our customers are asking for. If you guys can deliver this feature it makes it a no brainer when they compare ignition to other software packages. If you would like to speak with some end users to better understand this requirement I can arrange that.

[quote]We're fairly resistant to the idea that an alarm system should be deployed with the mentality of: "Well, we don't really know who should get what, so we don't want to define it. We'll just let the operators decide."
[/quote]

I dont see the issue with having a operator manage their own alarm requirements. At the very least the area managers want a power user to be able to configure the alarming requirements for their area thru a client interface. Being able to do everything from the client is the key. Its our job to make it pretty and useable for the end users and fit whatever model they would like to use. we just need the tools to do it.

Well I certainly hope you guys can come up with something that can meet our needs. Like I said earlier, this is important to all of our customers. They are willing to pay for it. I can have at least 3-4 of our customers speak to you about this if you would like. I know the other guys in this thread are looking for similar functionality also.

Well, we have some ideas for a scriptable notification block that I think would satisfy your requirements pretty nicely.

awesome. If you guys would like to have a gotomeeting to look at our system to get a better understanding of what we do and how we do it then we can definitely arrange it.

I appreciate your time.

Ok diat150 and RRRancher - in beta-6 we’ve introduced extension functions. On the user admin component these will let you insert your own logic to filter the user/role lists down based on who is currently logged in. There are also hooks for when the save button is pressed. Here’s a sneak peek:

The table component got some too. I imagine we’ll add more of these as we think of good ideas for them.

Looks good, Carl. I will take a closer look at it asap. Unfortunately we removed the beta and installed the production Ignition to get a working project done by deadline. I may not get a chance to look at the beta again until next month, but from your post, it looks like the extensive functions will allow us the flexibility needed to modify the project depending on the user that is logged in. I appreciate your work, sir. It is so refreshing to be working with a software company that listens to the needs of its customers, and doesn’t take months to produce results. I sure hope you guys stay this way as you continue to grow. And I know I’m not the only one that feels this way. Thank you very much.

I just had a chance to try the Extension Functions for the Roster Management. While I can use these functions to do what I need to, I’m not sure the best way to go about it.

We are currently using database security and have a lot of time and effort into custom tables and queries. This is mainly to break users into organizational groups similar to what RRRancher mentioned. Supervisors of these groups will only be concerned about a specific roster and a group of users that they manage.

I can use the filterRoster to limit the roster to what they need, but a property that works like the User Source would be easier. I can use the filterAvailableUser to run a query on each user and see if they are in the group that the supervisor manages, or check to see if they have a specific role. I’m concerned that the larger our system gets the slower this approach will be. Being able to run a query to get a list of Available Users would easier.

I have been doing some testing with the new management components using an AD Internal Hybrid user source. There is one major thing missing that is preventing me from using this type user source.

When using the User Management component, there is no way I can see to know when a user is deleted. If a new user is added, or if I modify a user, the onSaveUser function is triggered, and scripting can accomplish anything else needed. But If I delete a user, nothing is triggered, so I have no way to run a script to remove that user’s records from various tables. Seems like an onDeleteUser extension function would be easy to add to the User Management component.

Ill jump in also…any update on scriptable rosters/pipelines?