Which Linux Distribution for a SCADA Ignition Server?

Your link proves my point.

By default, table aliases are case-sensitive on Unix, but not so on Windows or macOS.

Perhaps it’s better to say ‘consistency matters’.

EDIT: Later in the same page:
To avoid problems caused by such differences, it is best to adopt a consistent convention, such as always creating and referring to databases and tables using lowercase names. This convention is recommended for maximum portability and ease of use.

That’s what I said. It would work on Windows but not on Linux. I should have said by default I suppose.

Either way. That isn’t the end all be all on why I run a windows server for my DB. I am not even suggesting it. This was a problem I had when I cloned my DB to a ubuntu cloud instance.

A lot of my complex queries wouldn’t run. My fault but still.

I hear ya. For me, There was a bit of growing pains going to PostgreSQL on Linux from MySQL on Windows, and I got caught in the same thing. :slight_smile: Except for me, I actually had table and column names that were capitalized. Oddly, it would let me create them no problem but queries would fail if I didn’t double quote them.

Like I said, painful.

I built our CMMS with Post and I love it.

I am locked into MySql in the same way. As well as I’ve used a ton of ifnull() and whatnot – there is only COALESCE() on postgre.

1 Like

I have a minor grudge against MySQL in that their "--" comment has to be followed by whitespace. Which is infuriating when you are trying to comment out some part of a query by inserting "--" at the start of a line.

I know that MS SQL doesn't require that whitespace (nor does Oracle), and that's what I'm most familiar with, so that's how the world should be. :roll_eyes:

Highlight it and (Ctrl + / )

Will comment it out and add space.

Real tools use ctrl+k, ctrl+c to comment out things, and they don’t add a space because they don’t need to :laughing:

It’s not the lack of a bulk comment command that I am complaining about, it’s that the makers of MySQL chose to be different in this situation, and thus created a headache when porting stuff from other DBs to MySQL

What VM solution do you like best? I’m in the process of setting up a dev environment and am having trouble choosing between Xen and KVM VMs. (Leaning towards KVM…)

I only use KVM (via libvirtd/virt-manager/virt-viewer) if I’m the one setting it up. My clients tend to use vSphere or HyperV in their datacenters. Client engineers tend to use VirtualBox or VMware workstation for ad-hoc development stuff.

pturmel may have a different opinion, but I’m seeing newer open-source projects trend away from Xen and towards KVM overall. Xen is still used in a LOT of places, not dying any time soon, and totally usable, but I personally went with KVM for this reason.

FWIW, I personally am a huge fan of ProxmoxVE, but that’s a whole different can of worms. I highly recommend it if you just want to goof around or run a home VM lab on the cheap, since the distro is free and you only pay for access to their more stable package repository and support.

(EDIT: Ninja’ed by pturmel)

I’ve been playing with the free AWS servers. I spun up a LAMP server in seconds but they also have Ubuntu, Red Hat and their own AWS distro. I suggest this if you are just going to spin it up to play around. You can do an actual hardware install later. This was my cloud journey: https://rjmah.wordpress.com/2020/10/14/journey-to-the-cloud-part-1/