Wednesday's Windows Woes

Why is your font rendering so bad? :grimacing:

Look at that insane kerning between ‘m’ and ‘a’!

5 Likes

Yeeaah, I was having Windows performance issues and thought I’d turn off all windows performance stuff which included anti-aliasing of fonts. It hasn’t fixed my performance issues but when I tried to turn it back on it didn’t seem to want to re-anti-alias before a restart so I just turned it back off again :grin: I haven’t restarted my laptop in… a while… probably the actual cause of my performance issues haha

Perspective clients look a bit special but i’m used to it now :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sooo why arent you restarting it? xd

I don’t know about @nminchin, but I hate restarting Windows. It takes a long time to boot (probably partially due to domain policies and software), and then I’ve got to track down everything I was working with and open it again. If I restarted it every time it was half frozen, I’d be restarting it several times a day–have found Ctrl-Alt-Del->Task Manager->Windows Explorer->Restart usually brings it back to life.

1 Like

maybe you also have freezing problems because you arent restarting :stuck_out_tongue:
Also there are options to restart apps on launch, i think.

Am i the only one that do it? i even turn off the default sleep mode, just to be sure everything restarted clean

Haha, yeah, maybe that too. However, mine is usually half frozen any time I come back to it after the screen is locked--even the first time after a restart.

At work i never restart, nothing good comes from whatever new policy IT has pushed and will now infect my workstation.

2 Likes

If only, I get a nice little warning telling me that my computer will be rebooted for me in 1 hour. Then it reboots weather I like it or not, and any unsaved work is just lost. I usually just stop and reboot and let the pain be what it will on restart.

3 Likes

Our friendly warning was 60 s which wasn’t always enough to save everything. After some pushback it was revised to an hour. Yep, stop, save, and reboot before like it or not comes.

1 Like

Oh, they do that to me too but there is a work around (;

Shh, don’t let that get back to IT or they might find a workaround for the workaround :grin:

2 Likes

@PGriffith should have named the topic “Windows Woes”. Missed opportunity :laughing: I can’t change it anymore because I lost my Regular badge over the Christmas break :sob:

Our IT have a similar push-updates thing but I can delay for 8 hours. Once time’s up though, down it goes, no questions asked.

1 Like

It seems the forum doesn’t like your obviously superior title choice:

Someone needs to add a better sense of humour to Discourse. Clearly it wasn’t designed by newspaper editors!

What about “Windows Woes Wednesdays”?

1 Like

Saaweeeeet! :rofl:

1 Like

What?!?!? You took time off and weren't posting on here?!?!? :rofl:

1 Like

Haha, I know it’s a crazy world to imagine. But hey, having lived over the last couple of years and now just 2 weeks ago, nothing’s crazy to imagine anymore :confused:

@peter @witman

Speak of the devil. I wonder if that was pure coincidence or a magical IA fairy? :laughing:

3 Likes

Actually I changed it slightly again haha

That's my coffee time

2 Likes