[Bug-13089]Error_InvalidPathSyntax in Perspective Binding

I am trying to define a property binding in Perspective but always get an ‘Error_InvalidPathSyntax’ (see screenshot). This happens with all properties on all components i tried. I selected the property path with the ‘Browse Properties’ dialog, but the same happens when i enter the path manually in a Expression.
I’m sure this is a stupid mistake on my side but i have no idea what i’m doing wrong.

Ignition Version is 8.0.3 ( b2019070302), but i had the same problem in 8.0.2.

What if you use a component name that doesn’t have a hyphen in it?

You are right, it works if the name doesn’t have a hyphen.
Is this a bug in the parser or are hyphen not allowed in component names?

I would not expect hyphens to be allowed. Nor any other math operator. Or anything else that wouldn’t be permitted in a javascript identifier. The designer probably shouldn’t be allowing such keys, at least when created in the UI.

As @pturmel said, we should not allow resource node names to allow mathematical operators, just as we should not allow property keys to allow mathematical operators. We already have an open ticket to address this. Any pending fix will NOT rename your resources; it would be up to you to remove any hyphens/dashes from your resources.

This issue was fixed in the 8.0.3 Nightly build that was uploaded yesterday (7/15).

For some additional context, the fix was to allow hyphens to be used in key names. This fix also includes some validation in the property editor that prevent users from entering keys with invalid characters (such as spaces, periods, brackets).

While this doesn’t prevent someone from editing the JSON of the view directly, this fix should help mitigate people entering unsupported characters going forward using the designer UI.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation.

Are hyphens now also allowed in component names or in property keys only?

There’s no functional difference between those two under the hood, so yes, hyphens should be fine anywhere you want to use them.

So for those of us stranded in 7.9, if there happens to be a hyphen in a resource name (host name of computer comes to immediate mind) then it’s always going to puke out an invalid component name error? Just checking, thanks.

I’m not entirely sure why you revived this thread; the error detailed here only applies to Perspective. Vision strictly refuses to allow hyphens in component names, so it’s a moot point.

Revived thread because I’m a newb, and didn’t notice the “Perspective” in the title. My apologies for causing ripples in the force. Just trying to solve problems that are hard to track with the error messages as generated. Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t know if this fix got rolled back somewhere along the line, but we’re back to hyphens being not accepted. If I have a hyphen in a component name that my binding references, I still get the ‘Error_InvalidPathSyntax’ notice.
Version: 8.1.7 (b2021060314)

1 Like

I agree, just wasted a lot of time to figure out CRAC-1 won't work, but CRAC1 does!