1756-L61/B Rev. 20.019

Has anyone had issues connecting to an AB 1756-L61/B controller running version 20.019? I have been able to connect similar controllers with earlier versions without issue but have difficulty getting this controller to read. Recreated and verified addressing and slot information. No issue connecting to it and going online with RSLogix. Just can’t get a good connection in Ignition. When using Quick Connect values come back as bad. I am using the Legacy AB ControlLogix driver for ver. 20 and prior.
Thanks,

Try the newer driver. Rockwell, bless their hearts, updated the security in the firmware at 20.19.

Being on firmware 20.19 is a worst-case scenario for performance. You have to use the newer Logix driver but it also doesn’t actually support the newer instance-based tag reads so the driver has to fall back to symbolic access.

5 Likes

Thanks. Will check it out.

This information helped me troubleshoot a very confusing problem in a test environment. I had to convince some people that upgrading from 20.18 to 20.19 actually breaks stuff in an existing Ignition SCADA.

It's certainly unintuitive for a minor revision to completely change everything but that's what Rockwell did. I think Rockwell should have made that a major revision because of the far reaching impact of the change and the perception that people have of minor revisions.

Thanks for the information.

It was, actually. Rockwell backported the security changes from v21 to v20 to accommodate some processor models that cannot run v21+.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the additional information. Not a fan of version 20 and have been working around it.

Thanks for the information. That's hilarious.

That explains why I was told to use the new driver for 21 and the old driver for <21 and that later changed. I must have gone through Ignition training between the release of 21 and the backporting.