7.3 IA Demo and Linux

The gateway backup of the demo uses UPPERCASE table names. The script makes lowercase tables. Log in did not work. Changed the USERS and USER_ROLE_MAPPING to lower case in the “IAAuth” profile and it lets me log into it now. Just an FYI.

Now that its open, looks like there is a lot of table names case problems.

Yes, MySQL on Linux is case sensitive by default. You can make MySQL case insensitive by modifying the my.cnf file located in MySQL etc folder. Add the following line below the [mysqld] section:lower_case_table_names = 1Save the file and restart MySQL. It should work just fine after that.

Thanks Travis.

Can someone convince me to change my Linux server to act more like a Windows server?

Is there a right and wrong?

Not right or wrong - just a side effect of a project that was developed in Windows where the case didn’t seem to matter. I can only imagine that leading you astray if you either use separate table names that are the same words but different case or if you “lose you case discipline” then move your project to another Linux MySQL instance (that isn’t configured to be like Windows :wink:).

Nathon,

That is why I like to stay away from little tweaks to make things run. In the heat of a battle they tend to get forgotten.

I like the birds that don’t fly.

[quote=“AxisIt”]Thanks Travis.

Can someone convince me to change my Linux server to act more like a Windows server?

Is there a right and wrong?[/quote]

I cant convince you to change your linux server to act more like windows, however, I can try to convince you that you should be aware of the systems you are using. Simply put, Windows is case insensitive, Linux is not. You developed your application and did not notice that those tables were uppercase. You can do a few things here

1)Rename the tables to match the case that your scripts are using
2)Change your scripts/settings to match the table name
3)Change your MySQL settings to ignore case

On a side note, this is a MySQL Gotcha. At least this will only catch you once!!

@Kyle - Great points. In this case he’s referring to the Ignition Demo application, which was created awhile back on a Windows platform. It’s known that the project is not case-consistent, but nobody is chomping at the bit to go through and correct all the instances of case insensitivity when it already runs on Windows and can be made to run on Linux with a single line configuration change. To me it just doesn’t seem like a worthwhile usage of time.

and OS/x which is based on linux is case insensitive.

just to add to the confusion...