8.1.17 Perspective Video Player always errors at 3:22 with 331MB video

Setup

• Localhost gateway: Version 8.1.17
  • Production gateway: Version 8.1.17
  • Video sized 331MB
  • File is hosted on a file server that is not the gateway server
  • Web dev folder resource points to the folder where the file is saved in the previous bullet

Issue

• The video component source is https:///system/webdev//videos/file.mp4
  • The video will play up until 3:22, and then the component becomes greyed out, the video stops playing, and an error overlay appears over the player, stating that the file is not valid.
  • Other users who use the production gateway report the same behavior; that the video player errors at 3:22.
  • Regardless if I play this video from my localhost or the gateway server, this error occurs at 3:22.
  • I don't believe that the issue is related to the video itself. When I change the web dev resource to point to somewhere on my machine, such as my documents, the video will play through to completion each time and never result in a file not valid error.
  • Is hosting the videos on a server other than the gateway the issue here?

The obvious way to test would be to put the video on the Gateway and try it that way. In theory what you're currently doing shouldn't be a problem, and sounds like maybe it has to do with the connection between the file server and the session. Have you tried other videos longer than this amount of time on that same file server?

Hey, sorry to not reply sooner. Thank you for your reply! It turned out that in the first video there was an issue with the video that was observable in other video players, like Windows Media Player. However, with a good video, I have found that the video freezes at random times. In this case it's a 6 min video that I am looping. When it eventually freezes, I get this error (with the items in <> not put for OPSEC reasons):

GET GATEWAY/keepalive/<PROJECT_NAME>/67e1a8e/1444775978576768 net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

onerrorLogger: {"stack":"Error: Network Error\n at e.exports (GATEWAY/res/perspective/js/PerspectiveClient.ff45021c636db233995f.js:6:187436)\n at m.onerror (GATEWAY/res/perspective/js/PerspectiveClient.ff45021c636db233995f.js:6:186419)","message":"Network Error","name":"Error","logData":{"msg":"unhandledrejection","errorMsg":"Network Error"}}

PerspectiveClient.ff45021c636db233995f.js:6
Uncaught (in promise) Error: Network Error
at e.exports (PerspectiveClient.ff45021c636db233995f.js:6:187436)
at m.onerror (PerspectiveClient.ff45021c636db233995f.js:6:186419)

I let it sit for a while, maybe 5 minutes, and it eventually seemed to recover, but I'm curious if there is a way to handle this error. I don't think 'wait and see if it recovers' will fly with our end-users :slight_smile:

GET GATEWAY/system/webdev/<PROJECT_NAME>/videos/<VIDEO_NAME>.mp4 net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET 200 (OK)

We'll need to look into it, but what looks to be happening is that your Session's connection to the Gateway is being interrupted, and so the download/buffering of the video is halted. The root cause is going to be almost impossible to nail down because any environment is understandably going to be an exact match to your configuration. I have someone looking at this at the surface level to see what could be happening.

1 Like

We're pretty limited in what we can do here on the forum, but it's being recommended that you grab as many logs as you can (and a thread dump if you're familiar with that process) and get in contact with Support as they'll have more readily-available resources to assist in replication/troubleshooting.