8.1.35 Upgrade: Unable to extract Ignition runtime files, classes.jsa

Hello everyone. We're attempting to upgrade our version 8.1.30 Ignition Gateways to 8.1.35. On our dev gateway, everything went smoothly and the gateway started up with no issues. However, whenever we try to upgrade our production gateway, the install fails with an "Unable to extract Ignition runtime files" popup. The install logs are shown below.

install_20231207-1555.log (157.1 KB)

I think we may be able to get around this by installing to another directory and bringing over the data from the original server, but we have yet to try that. Has anyone run into this issue before or does anyone have some insight on the issue? We'd like to be able to fix the root cause and use the upgrader next time.

Hi @Cade_Wormington, welcome to the forum!

Do you have some additional security software or profiles installed on this device you don't on the other?

Hi jcoffman!

I would have to get in contact with our network security team, but my guess is that the policies are similar but not the exact same. Would you suggest attempting the install with the security policy temporarily disabled?

Hello

I've been having the same problem (but from 8.1.32 to 8.1.33). It seems 8.1.33 with the JDK upgrade introduced the new classes.jsa file. I've been in contact with support but without much luck so far.

Support also suggested disabling antivirus but that didn't help.

Like yourself we have been able to upgrade several development / test gateways but have been having issues with the production gateways. The only difference between the dev and production gateways is that on the production servers the Ignition service runs under an AD user as opposed to a local system account - I'd be curious to know if you are doing this as well?

Hello @Louis_Whitburn,

The Ignition service uses the local system account on both our dev and prod environments, although we log into both servers to start the service and upgrader using AD accounts. Both system users appear to have the same permissions. We were able to successfully install 8.1.35 on other production systems, but this last one is the one giving issues. We haven't had issues with upgrading the gateway before.

Hello

Thanks for the update. I think I can rule out running as an AD user in my case then (I also tested upgrading Ignition on a test VM with Ignition running as an AD user and that went fine as well).

I'll get back in touch with support and I'll update this post if I hear anything from them. I think we're running into the same issue - I'm just not sure what it is.

Hello there,

I'm having the exact same issue, do you have any updates ?.
I've realized that there was an unsuccesful upgrade attempt before, thats why I got the "There may be a pending ignition install in, do you want to abort" message when I execute the installer.

Hi @David_Lopez

Ultimately, we got in contact with support and were unable to find the root cause. They suggested we do a manual install, which is just unzipping the Gateway files into the install folder. Below are the instructions support gave us.
EDIT: We never ran into the "pending Ignition install" error that you mention.

Step 1: Go to here and download the 64-bit Zip: Archived Ignition Releases | Inductive Automation
Step 2: Stop the current Ignition installation.
Step 3. In the C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation folder, rename the existing Ignition folder to Ignition_old. Create a new folder named Ignition.
Step 4: Copy the contents from the Zip into the new Ignition folder.
Step 5: From Ignition_old copy out the data folder, including the Ignition.conf file, and place it in the new Ignition folder.
Step 6: Start the Gateway

Once it starts successfully and you can confirm all data is in place, you can delete the ignition_old file.

The Designer may fail to run as well after you upgrade with the an error about classes.jsa.
***If the Designer does not run as expected after upgrading (Gateway and Designer), you may need to go to a Gateway that upgraded successfully to 8.1.35 without intervention and go to the following file location: C:/Users/<Ignition_User>/.ignition. You would want to copy the entire .ignition folder and replace it on the computer hosting the Designer that will not run. This will manually replace the lib files required to run the Designer.

Afterward use the run-upgrader.bat in the Ignition folder - this should add the additional parameters (to the ignition.conf file). There is an internal ticket in our system to fix the READ ME doc which says this is only required for Major upgrades - this should always be used whenever you do a ZIP upgrade just in case IA has made additional changes to the ignition.conf file.

(Courtesy of Sarah Johnson from IA)

2 Likes

Thank you! That worked for me

1 Like