A little suggestion about maker edtion name

I know you guys worked hard to deploy the maker edition.
And I cant wait to share with my dev community.
But you might want to rename Maker-editon
to Maker CE
or Maker community edition.
The only reason I suggest CE (community edition)
Is that the community edition is generally universally recognized as the version of a larger software suit that is designed for the tinker, developer and hobbyist.
just a thought

1 Like

Ignition ME also brought back memories of Windows ME.

1 Like

bad memories

14 Likes

Hate to say it, but Windows CE has fared only slightly better

1 Like

... or FactoryTrash ME

2 Likes

On the contrary, I would say "community edition" is univerally recognized as the open-source base for a commercial product. At least for programmers. Ignition Maker Edition is definitely not open source. I think calling it "CE" would be a mistake.

3 Likes

I’m not saying IA software devs drink on the job, but we are very familiar with the Ballmer curve. :wink:

3 Likes

I stand corrected.
I withdrawal my plea

Bingo. Early on we even referred to it internally as “community edition”, but eventually decided this name wasn’t quite right and came up with an alternative.

1 Like

I think you hit it on the nose. As a member of a Makerspace, I can assure you that Makers are perfectly happy to use commercial products, while proclaiming the tinkering ethos you are targeting.

3 Likes

Maker Edition is perfectly named for how a product like this can be used in the much wider Maker community. Exposing the home automation piece, and branding it as a Maker tool exposes our industry to an entire subset of the population who is doing interesting and fun things with Raspberry PIs, Arduinos, NodeRed, and any number of lower cost hardware than PLCs.

2 Likes

Not to mention we use the word “Community” a lot to refer to… all of you who use Ignition in the commercial sector. We definitely know the typical meaning of “community edition”, and like Kevin said, we actually used that for most of the project, but then thought that it would be a little off for the non-commercial use in our community.

Took a second for a lot of people to buy into the name when it was first presented, but we came to convince ourselves, ultimately for the reasons others have mentioned here.

And what can you do, “CE”, “ME”, no good connotations on any of those… Internally we don’t let people call it that! :laughing:

4 Likes