AbstractTagDriver, tag parameter setting:engineering unit

In the AbstractTagDriver, I’m lookink for a way to set engineering unit, description,… in the tag created by the driver (OPC UA provide this feature)

When OPC SqlTag are created, by drag and drop the tag provided by the AbstractTagDriver,
engineering unit, description could be then fullfiled ?

Sorry, none of this is supported :frowning:

Right now there is no way for tags provided/browsed/read by an OPC connection in the platform to provide any of the additional SQLTags properties when it browses. It’s just values and types.

So because our connections can’t use the data, I haven’t given the drivers/server the ability to provide that data either.

(UA spec talk incoming) Right now the drivers are all forced to create regular DataVariableNodes. In the future, perhaps once our OPC connection abstraction in the platform can use this data if present, I’ll give the drivers the ability to create VariableNodes with one of the variable types from the Data Access (part 8) spec, namely AnalogItemType, which has properties like InstrumentRange, EURange, and EngineeringUnits.

Thanks kevin,
I use beckhoff automation products and a opcua link to Ignition.
By reading beckhoff docs, I’ve found some properties to configure the EU prop of exposed opcua tags.
Could be a good features for next release.

Does this features has been added ? I'm looking forward to automatically setup EngUnit, EngLow, EngHigh from Beckhoff attribute.

No, this hasn’t been implemented.

We’ve primarily looked into pulling the Description attribute from OPC UA Nodes at the time they are drag n dropped into Ignition as tags but the biggest problem is that it’s only read once when the tag is created - it wouldn’t ever update nor would you be able to “refresh” it except for deleting and dragging the tag in from the OPC Browser again.

Pulling the EURange from Nodes that are AnalogItemType subclasses would be another trick all together, because those aren’t intrinsic attributes on the UA Node but rather they are the Value attribute from a PropertyNode referenced by the AnalogItemType Node you’re creating an OPC tag from.