Access Perspective Page via Domain Name

Can anyone speak to how to access a perspective page from a domain name?

Like demo.ia.io.

You have to point a domain name at your server’s IP address. If entirely private, that would be inside your network and controlled by your IT department. Otherwise you need a public domain name and then expose your server on a public IP address. That’s only safe if you are using encryption, so you’ll need a certificate, too. I recommend Let’s Encrypt for that.

From a networking angle, it is essentially the same operations you’d perform to put any web server on the internet.

So there’s no need for nginx or apache?

Optional. I’d probably use nginx if I were deploying with docker on the publicly reachable host.

Point the domain name to :8088/data/perspective/client/?

No, domain names cannot point to ports or paths, just addresses. If you need to trim the path, you would definitely need apache or nginx to be a reverse proxy. That’s tricky, because not all necessary URLs are under /data/perspective, IIRC. I strongly recommend using the normal ports, too.

It’s important that the firewall not expose the server to the internet until after it is commissioned and appropriate security established. Open port 80 only to allow Let’s Encrypt to execute its challenge(s).

1 Like

Do you know of a guide or anything to get nginx to work with ignition? We have tried multiple different configuration files and can’t get it to work at all.

I’ve never used nginx, sorry. And I haven’t put Ignition on a public address. But search this forum.

However, I’d get an Ignition server working publicly without either of those first. Just to be sure everything works. Then add nginx or apache if you really need it.

1 Like

Is this still the preferred technique?

The demo has very nice performance and load speeds.
It is a reverse proxy as described?

I've only proxied Ignition onto the internet via Apache. With Ignition itself set to trust the proxy headers. Apache was set to intercept Let's Encrypt challenges and handle certbot itself.

1 Like

I'm using an Oracle Machine Free tier with Nginx both Nginx and Ignition at Docker, runs very nice.

I'm using the original nginx docker image, just need to setup the redirections using your domain.

Have a tutorial how to setup it:

Running an NGINX reverse proxy with Docker and Let's Encrypt on Compute Engine | Google Cloud Platform Community

Or

Adding Nginx and HTTPS via Letsencrypt to Docker Compose setup | thoughts.sort() (casperlehmann.com)

You need to include the extra header at Nginx to Ignition works

2 Likes

One of those links said it used billable aspects of Google compute.
I am very Microsoft bias with Microsoft bias networking, and paying adverse/averse.

The second link said it was malicious according to my security popup, not sure.

I am interested though, and appreciate the help.

I got the same security warning using Chrome, and it successfully deterred from opening the page.

haha
Did we just both get our computers infected with the first link?

Just kidding

Welcome and thanks for input @Adriano_Generoso_da

The second link the issue was the Certificate was expired, they don't renew it.

If you guys want, I can share my settings of Ignition