Accessing PLC over VLAN

The network on which we are connected to an AB Compact logix has been upgraded to a VLan network and since the upgrade we have lost connection to PLC and recieving this error.
We are running Ignition V7.5.6

java.lang.Exception: Error connecting to “10.32.15.91”.
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.driver.api.AbstractNioDriver.connect(AbstractNioDriver.java:136)
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.driver.api.AbstractDriver$5.run(AbstractDriver.java:534)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:526)
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.driver.api.AbstractNioDriver.connect(AbstractNioDriver.java:110)
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.driver.api.AbstractDriver$5.run(AbstractDriver.java:534)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:526)
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don’t really know what it means to upgrade to a VLan network, but the error is simply Java saying that it can’t even open a TCP connection to 10.32.15.91 now.

Can you ping it from the gateway? Are there multiple NICs in the machine? Are you on the right subnet now?

I’ll make a couple assumptions, correct me if I am wrong.

Your PLC used to be on a subnet that the Ignition server could route to. Maybe the same subnet as it is currently, but either part of a larger vlan or just untagged all together.

Your PLC is now on a vlan tagged subnet.

Your Ignition servers IP hasn’t changed, nor has it had an additional NIC added to it on the new VLAN subnet.

Assumptions over.

In order for Ignition to talk to this PLC, you’ll need something like

Ignition to be on the vlan(single NIC) or have a NIC on that vlan, OR have its nic capable of VLAN tagging and allow it to have multiple virtual IPs(one of which should be on the same vlan)
Ignition’s IP added to the VLAN acl to allow it to route to the PLC and vice versa.

[quote=“Dravik”]I’ll make a couple assumptions, correct me if I am wrong.

Your PLC used to be on a subnet that the Ignition server could route to. Maybe the same subnet as it is currently, but either part of a larger vlan or just untagged all together.

Your PLC is now on a vlan tagged subnet.

Your Ignition servers IP hasn’t changed, nor has it had an additional NIC added to it on the new VLAN subnet.

Assumptions over.

In order for Ignition to talk to this PLC, you’ll need something like

Ignition to be on the vlan(single NIC) or have a NIC on that vlan, OR have its nic capable of VLAN tagging and allow it to have multiple virtual IPs(one of which should be on the same vlan)
Ignition’s IP added to the VLAN acl to allow it to route to the PLC and vice versa.[/quote]

:prayer: :mrgreen:

Hi Dravik,

Your assumption is correct the PLC is now on a VLan tagged network.

Thanks for your response. :prayer: