Adding OPC Tags

Hi,

I tried to create a new OPC Tag in the Ignition version 7.8. The tag gets created under ROOT folder , but it doesn’t appear in the OPC Browser window! What appears in the OPC Browser window? Do only PLC tags appear there? Can I create folders and subfolders in the OPC server and add tags there?

My understanding of an OPC server was that I should be able to configure my own address space there which I can access from an OPC Client.

Would appreciate some light on this.

Best Regards
PRAMANJ

1 Like

OPC drivers supply namespaces to the OPC server as ‘nodes’, which can then optionally offer browsing of their contents. The contents are entirely defined by the driver, and vary considerably among protocols and PLC brands.
The namespace you define in Ignition is the tree of Gateway Tags. These tags can be subscriptions of OPC items, either by drag-and-drop from the OPC Browser or by manually entering an item address that a particular driver understands. Gateway tags don’t have to be subscribed to OPC items, and they can be arranged in any folder structure you like. With the help of a third party driver, Gateway tags can be published as OPC items for external use.
The Ignition designer’s OPC Browser shows the addresses of data offered by browsable nodes, nothing more. The designer’s Tag Browser shows actual running tag objects & data and allows you to manipulate the tree of objects.

1 Like

Thanks a lot General for the clear explanation. Which the third party driver that allows mapping Gateway tags as OPC items? Is it available as a module in the market place? What prevents Ignition to allow such direct publishing to its OPC server? Ideally an OPC server should support configuring its address space as well? Does Ignition have plans to provide this feature in future so that we can avoid third party modules? Can it be taken as a change request? (Perhaps Kevin Heron can commnet on this?).

Thanks again ,
best regards
PRAMANJ
:prayer:

1 Like

Kymera SQLTag Driver. It hasn’t been updated for v7.7 or v7.8. You’ll need to contact Kymera.
I’m afraid I don’t really understand why Ignition’s architecture isn’t meeting your needs. I think you should go to the feature requests / ideas site and explain exactly how you want it to work and why. If a competitive product does this the way you want, point it out as an example. If enough people agree that it would be useful, it has a better chance of being picked up.

Thanks General for the module details. I think this will meet my requirement, but I need to explore it further if they provide an evaluation version.

My requirement is I should be able to define my own tags in OPC UA server of Ignition for my simulation client module to integrate with Ignition. I will not have a physical PLC or controller in the simulated plant. I think the kyamera module will allow me to access internal SQLTags on ingition from an OPC Client. But if this feature is built in Ignition it will avoid the requirement of a third party module.

I will put this as a suggested feature in the link you gave.

Best Reagrds
http://www.pramanj.com
:thumb_right: :thumb_left:

Ignition now has the functionality of the Kymera driver built in… I believe it’s called “exposed tags” and it’s configurable in the OPC-UA server settings.

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]I believe it’s called “exposed tags”[/quote]Ah! Yes, it is. Very interesting.

Thanks a lot Kevin and pturmel, I will explore this feature in Ignition. I want to be able to simulate the whole plant including the process / logic and control without have any physical PLCs connected. Of course the logic and control will be simulated at functional level irrespective of type of PLCs used in the real plant, but with any specific control blockes will be replicated.

I hope there are no ristrictions on the number of “exposed tags” in Ignition!

Best Regards
for http://www.pramanj.com

I checked the “Expose Tag Providers” check box in the configuration panel of Ignition for OPC-UA settings menu. Then I expected so see all my memory tags that I defined in the default tag provider, but it doesn’t appear there! Then I tried to convert the type of memory tags from memory to OPC tags, but it gives an ‘?’ red mark on or ‘x’ red mark on the tags in default folder and it didn’t reflect in OPC Browser window.! Rather it gives following error in the OPC Window:

"GatewayException: UaException: status=Bad_ConfigurationError, message=no matching endpoints found
caused by ExecutionException: UaException: status=Bad_ConfigurationError, message=no matching endpoints found
caused by com.digitalpetri.opcua.stack.core.UaException
UaException: status=Bad_ConfigurationError, message=no matching endpoints found

Ignition v7.8.0 (b2015101414)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_66"

Can you please help how to see the Exposed Tags in OPC Browser window?

regards
www.pramanj.com

Hi Kevin,
Will appreciate your reply to it.
regards
pramanj

Hi Kevin/ P Trumel,

I am unable to see the Exposed OPC tags in OPC Browser? What could be the problem?
Will appreciate your help.
regards
PRAMANJ

The OPC UA server gives following faulted error on the admin console:

com.digitalpetri.opcua.stack.core.UaException: no matching endpoints found
com.inductiveautomation.xopc2.client.ClientManager.lambda$null$6(ClientManager.java:118)java.util.
Optional.orElseThrow(Optional.java:290)com.inductiveautomation.xopc2.client.ClientManager.lambda
$connect$7(ClientManager.java:118)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniWhenComplete(Compl
etableFuture.java:760)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(Completab
leFuture.java:736)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474
)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.complete(CompletableFuture.java:1962)com.digitalpetri.opcu
a.stack.client.UaTcpStackClient.receiveResponse(UaTcpStackClient.java:280)com.digitalpetri.opcua.st
ack.client.UaTcpStackClient.lambda$sendRequest$9(UaTcpStackClient.java:151)java.util.concurrent.C
ompletableFuture.uniWhenComplete(CompletableFuture.java:760)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFu
ture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:736)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.p
ostComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.complete(Completa
bleFuture.java:1962)com.digitalpetri.opcua.stack.client.handlers.UaTcpClientSymmetricHandler.lambda
$null$26(UaTcpClientSymmetricHandler.java:199)java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(T
hreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecut
or.java:617)java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

[quote=“Pramanj”]Hi Kevin/ P Trumel,

I am unable to see the Exposed OPC tags in OPC Browser? What could be the problem?
Will appreciate your help.
regards
PRAMANJ

The OPC UA server gives following faulted error on the admin console:

com.digitalpetri.opcua.stack.core.UaException: no matching endpoints found
com.inductiveautomation.xopc2.client.ClientManager.lambda$null$6(ClientManager.java:118)java.util.
Optional.orElseThrow(Optional.java:290)com.inductiveautomation.xopc2.client.ClientManager.lambda
$connect$7(ClientManager.java:118)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniWhenComplete(Compl
etableFuture.java:760)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(Completab
leFuture.java:736)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474
)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.complete(CompletableFuture.java:1962)com.digitalpetri.opcu
a.stack.client.UaTcpStackClient.receiveResponse(UaTcpStackClient.java:280)com.digitalpetri.opcua.st
ack.client.UaTcpStackClient.lambda$sendRequest$9(UaTcpStackClient.java:151)java.util.concurrent.C
ompletableFuture.uniWhenComplete(CompletableFuture.java:760)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFu
ture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:736)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.p
ostComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474)java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.complete(Completa
bleFuture.java:1962)com.digitalpetri.opcua.stack.client.handlers.UaTcpClientSymmetricHandler.lambda
$null$26(UaTcpClientSymmetricHandler.java:199)java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(T
hreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecut
or.java:617)java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[/quote]

Pramanj,

It looks like your OPC-UA connection is faulted. It’s probably configured with anonymous (no username/pw) credentials, but anonymous connections aren’t enabled in the OPC-UA server settings.

Double check that either anonymous access is allowed and that’s how the connection is configured, or that you’ve got the correct username/password configured for the connection.

Dear Kevin,
Yes it says OPC connection is faulted. But I don’t know how to generate user name and password fro the OPC server! I just generated the CD-KEY for the OPC server from the developer page.
regards
PRAMANJ

The default is opcuauser / password

Check which auth profile the server is using and make sure the above user is present. Then make sure the connection is using the above credentials.

You also might turn on anonymous access as well.

The 7.8.1 beta is available for download and contains many fixes to OPC-UA and other modules - it would be worth downloading and installing that.

Dear Kevin,
I enabled anonymous user access to OPCUA server as well as ensured opcuauser and password users are available. But despite that the OPCUA server remains Faulted! I even restarted the GCU. The OPC-UA server remains faulted!

Where is the donload link for the version 7.8.1 beta? I don’t see it on the Ignigtion home page? It shows 7.8.0 every where?

Request your help.

regards
PRAMANJ

Dear Kevin,

Yes I was able to establish the connection by selecting endpoint!

Regards
PRAMANJ

Dear Kevin,
The problem is resolved after connecting the endpoints.
Thanks a lot.
PRAMANJ

Is it possible to expose selected folders from the tree structure? Currently the entire trees structure gets exposed with expose option? It would be nice if we could select a folder under which all tags can get exposed.
Regard
Prafull

Hi Kevin,
What uri I should give to connect to the Ignition OPC Server from a client? Giving uri://192.168.1.28/Ignition%20OPC-UA%20Server is not accepted from my client? I tried even “http://localhost:8088/Igntion OPC Server” but it doesn’t work either?

regards
Prafull

got it! please ignore previous post.
prafull