Adding tags to "Ignition OPC-UA Server" thru designer

Hi,
I don’t see a mechanism to add tags in Ignition OPC-UA server thru the Ignition designer tool? I thought it would be as easy as adding SQLTags in SQL Tags Browser! Does OPC-UA server only read values thru PLC drivers? Althought the SQL Tags browser lets us add an OPC UA Tag from OPC-UA Server! I want to be able to add tags in Ignition OPC-UA server from SQL Tags Browser. Is that possible?

BR
PRAMANJ

It’s not possible, no.

The closest thing is the ability to create an Ignition OPC tag with an arbitrary OPC Item Path, which depending on what OPC server you’re talking to, may be able to dynamically create and read or subscribe to data with that NodeId.

This is how the modbus driver works, for example. There’s no browsing, so you just create tags with item paths you know (or think you know, anyway) exist, and the modbus driver starts trying to read from that modbus address.

1 Like

Hi,
Ideally an OPC server should allow users to create Nodes into it then why not the Ignition OPC-UA server? If I want to comunicate with any Ignition tags thru OPC-UA server from an external OPC-UA Client then how can I achieve it , if the OPC-UA server of Ignition doesn’t allow communication between SQL tags and OPC-UA Tags (Nodes).

BR
PRAMANJ

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking.

Hi Kevin,
My understanding of OPC server was I should be able to create an address space of my own there. I should be able to define any nodes, variables, objects there. It seems from the demos and tutorials of OPC in ignition that we can add only PLC variables in OPC-UA server. Correct me if I am wrong.

I want to communicate with any Ignition SQL Tags thru an OPC-UA Client, like I have done using sockets. How can I do that using OPC server. If there is way of doing this thru OPC then it would be a non invasive way of integrating my application with Ignition. How can I achieve it?

BR
PRAMANJ

You probably want the Kymera SQLTag Driver

This functionality is built in to 7.7 as well.

That’s a good news! I have been using version 7.6.4 so far, looks like time to upgrade to 7.7. I hope the migration of sdk version7.6.4 to 7.7 is smooth! Any suggestions about precautions I should take so that my module gets migrated smoothly as well. Will the same CD Key work for 7.7 or I have to get a new one? Will OPC-UA remain activated with the same CD-KEY?

However what is your opinion about integrating my application with Ignition through sockets V/S through OPC-UA? The obvious benifit of OPC-UA would be no need of writing our own Ignition module to integrate with Ignition, I can directly connect to Ignition OPC-UA server through my OPC-UA client on same or other physical machine. Apart from that do you think of any pros and cons?

The socket approach is simple but I am not sure about reliability of socket connection especially when run for long hours when client my go to sleep or hybernation due to inactivity. I hope server will never sleep in a production environment. Also there is an issue with access rights and authentication, I have to take care of it myself.

Any thoughts would beappreciated.

BR
PRAMANJ