Alarm Bits getting stuck

I am using 7.6.1 and I randomly getting alarms stuck on that are not true. If you look at the true value of the tag it should not be alarming but the AlertActive bit is on. If I go in and disable the alarm and reenable the alarm is no longer active. Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

How often is this occurring? This could be a little tricky to track down, but perhaps we could turn on logging and see if anything comes up. If you go to Config>Console>Levels in the gateway, and look for “Alarming.Execution”, you can turn it to “debug”. I don’t believe this should generate too many events normally, but check the console from time to time and see. At any rate, the next time you see the problem, export the logs (from the “Console” section) and attach them here, or email them to support.

Regards,

I have enable debug as suggested and will monitor for another stuck bit. Thank you

Colby
We are running 7.6.2.rc4 here and have been seeing the same thing. I am 99.9% sure what is causing it here. I can recreate it 100%.

Create tag that looks at PLC with alarm.
Set the value so alarm is triggered.
Now disconnect the network connection so gateway cant see the PLC.
Now set value in the PLC so it will no longer be in alarm state.
Reconnect the gateway to the network so it can once again see the PLC.
The alarm will not go to an inactive state even though the value in the tag in ignition is one that should not be in alarm. If you toggle the AlertExecEnabled bit for the tag the active state will go low.

Also it doesn’t seem to matter how the new settings in the General section for the alarms are set this behavior is still present and can be replicated 100% of the time.

Noticed rc5 was out loaded and still has the same issue.

[quote=“gadgetguru69”]Colby
We are running 7.6.2.rc4 here and have been seeing the same thing. I am 99.9% sure what is causing it here. I can recreate it 100%.

Create tag that looks at PLC with alarm.
Set the value so alarm is triggered.
Now disconnect the network connection so gateway cant see the PLC.
Now set value in the PLC so it will no longer be in alarm state.
Reconnect the gateway to the network so it can once again see the PLC.
The alarm will not go to an inactive state even though the value in the tag in ignition is one that should not be in alarm. If you toggle the AlertExecEnabled bit for the tag the active state will go low.

Also it doesn’t seem to matter how the new settings in the General section for the alarms are set this behavior is still present and can be replicated 100% of the time.[/quote]

Yes, that sounds like what happened to us recently as well. I was getting a reoccurring communication error on one of the Modbus devices that we use to monitor our breaker status. I went in to work yesterday to cycle power to our “monitoring boxes”. These have a network drop, 4-port unmanaged switch, a power monitoring device, and a open/close contact board in them. When I cycled power, I got “breaker open” statuses from each of the breakers, which we commonly see on power cycle. However, once it came back up, the tag values changed back to “Closed” status, but the alarms persisted.

We’re still using a custom alerts table which runs a query on the alert log table. I had to manually add a clear time/clear value for it to get it to go away from our custom table. I also have a new main screen that I’m working on which will incorporate the built-in alert table provided by Ignition. Looking at this table, these alerts are still present. I’m not sure where I’d go to manually clear these, if I even could without setting off false alarms for our operators.

Edit: I should note that we’re still using the “Legacy Storage” profiles.

Hi,

Yes, I’ve tracked this down, it was doing what gadgetguru69 described, and not clearing when the clear value came through during “bad quality”. Unfortunately 7.6.2 is already queued up to go out, so this will have to go into the first beta for 7.6.3.

In the mean time, unfortunately the events will only clear once it becomes active and then clear again, or if the tag is disabled/re-enabled.

Regards,