Alarm events - clears being missed

We are attempting to use the alarm events table to capture the timespan of active alarms. We have found entries in the table that have the alarm active and acknowledgement, but is never receiving a alarm clear. I have dug through some the docs but have not been able to find a solid answer on some of these questions.

1. is there a time span that an alarm can be active before it just gets ignored by the system?
  2. If a alarm is shelved and it expires does that cause a clear to never be logged?
  3. Is there some sort of background process that doesn't close an event? Gateway reboot, redundancy failover, or tag quality changes?
    We have about 430 alarms over the last couple months with no clear logged to the table, while the alarms are no longer in an active state. Just trying to nail down what is causing this type of behavior.

thanks,

What version are you running? I recall release notes for a few issues with the alarm journal and shelving - do any of these match your situation?

Beyond that, I don't have much to offer besides speculation

I am currently running 8.1.31, but I am testing 8.1 38 in our development environment.