Alarm notification by mail does not work

Hello
Alarm notification by mail does not work . I enclose captures of the entire configuration.
Can somebody help me?
thanks you.

There should be some logs in the gateway if sending fails.

Gmail is unlikely to let you send email using a from address of “default@example.com”, so you might want to correct that and try again.

thanks for your reply.
He changed the email but it still doesn’t work.

If you click that little “+” button you can get the rest of the error details.

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:2055)

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:697)

at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:386)

at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:245)

at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:194)

at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:253)

at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile$EmailTask.sendMessage(EmailNotificationProfile.java:731)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile$EmailTask.buildAndMaybeSendMessage(EmailNotificationProfile.java:719)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile$EmailTask.run(EmailNotificationProfile.java:638)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.alarming.notification.email.EmailNotificationProfile.lambda$sendNotification$0(EmailNotificationProfile.java:466)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: No appropriate protocol (protocol is disabled or cipher suites are inappropriate)

at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.(Unknown Source)

at java.base/sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshakeContext.(Unknown Source)

at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.kickstart(Unknown Source)

at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.configureSSLSocket(SocketFetcher.java:543)

at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:348)

at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:236)

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:2019)

``

now it works, I used another server. The server that I used is mailjet.com
Thanks a lot

Fwiw, Gmail doesn’t really support emails from an automated system due to their security requirements.

I’m using mailjet but still can’t make it work. I need your advice!

mailjet has stopped working, I will look for another alternative, if it works for me I will tell you

I realize this is old but I just went through this today and couldn’t figure out why my SMTP setup was not working correctly. So this is for anyone else that may come across the same issue, you can use Gmail smtp, you just have to generate an App Password as Gmail no longer supports what they consider “less secure apps”.

To generate an app password you have to login to your Google Account then find the “Manage Your Google Account” button. From there navigate to Security and find the heading “Signing in To Google”

You can then click on the App Passwords tab and follow the instructions to generate it. That password is then used on the Networking > Email Settings < tab or in the Alarming > Notification < tab to allow sending emails from an email address.

If you use the Email Settings option you can easily test your SMTP setup by using the More dropdown and clicking test and entering the same email address you used to setup the SMTP as the From address. You will know it works if you get what is inside the green box, any other message means it failed.

4 Likes