Alarm notifications / SMTP issues

We have setup alarm notifications through email, and are having some issues getting things working.

The SMTP profile is setup, and the test email works without entering any username or password.

The alarm notification profile is setup to use the SMTP profile that was created. When testing the alarm pipeline, the test tag shows up, but the email is not sent out.

In the log, it states:
“javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: failed to connect, no user name specified?”

So then we setup the SMTP to use a username and password.

The SMTP test email fails with the error:
javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: No authentication mechanisms supported by both server and client

When testing the alarm pipeline, again the test tag shows up, but no email is sent out.

In the log, it states:
“javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: No authentication mechanisms supported by both server and client”

What am I missing here? How do we go about getting the alarm notifications working?

Dan

Dan, did you ever resolve this?
I am having the same issues.

I had this same issue. Same setup with SMTP server with no authentication requirements.

Alarm notifications would not send using the pre-defined SMTP server on the gateway. I configured the alarm notification profile with my SMTP settings everything works fine.

Try this ONLY if Jason Wright’s advice does not help- see also a posting by jkellyus entitled SMTP gmail does not work- then be aware:
I recently went through a bit of an ‘Authentication’ trial with A T & T email. It seems that you may need to look at OAuth and other ‘Authentication’ sources in order to restore your SMTP services. Try looking at your POP and/or IMAP settings before you commit to adding any new software. Examine Google topic OAuth for information about the versions involved, and realize that some MS clients such as Outlook can be setup to provide this on installation ( POP and/or IMAP setup for certain, ‘secure-auth-key’ maybe not ). I am up and running for regular e-mail using Office 2016 Pro Outlook.

One other clue, if you like it from the experts: