Alert Notification getting NTLM supported error

We are receiving the follow error when sending alert notifications:

javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: 334 NTLM supported

The customer claims their exchange server is configured for SMTP and POP.

Would we receive this error if that were true?

I’m not sure, but you can find out pretty easily by opening telnet to the hostname and port they’ve configured for SMTP and seeing if you get a 220 response code from the mail server. Maybe even issue a HELO.

OK I receive a 220 reply from the server.

I receive an 500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command reply to entering HELO

Using telnet to port 25 on the mail server, and using the EHLO instead of the HELO command we get a list of capabilities from the server. One of these is AUTH NTLM, indicating that NTLM authorization is available on this server. (It appears to be REQUIRED on this particular server)

NTLM is an SMTP extension used by Microsoft for user authentication and is not part of the SMTP standard.

Does anyone have a workaround for accessing NTLM-configured MS Exchange mail servers?

Thank you,

I’ve done a little googling… it looks like it might be expecting a fully-qualified windows user instead of an email address to login, e.g. ‘MyDomain\JoeUser’.

Other than that I don’t really know where else to go on this.

Thank you for looking too Kevin.

We tried adding the domain to the user name with no success.

Most of the workarounds I see on the web work at the java library level. I can’t believe we’re the first ones to face this problem.

The next 7.6.3 release candidate should have a ‘debug’ mode on email alarm notification profiles that will log the entire back and forth between Ignition and the SMTP server to wrapper.log… maybe this will give us some additional clues.

We finally resolved this problem.

Exchange server allows the configuration of alternative SMTP Connectors.

blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/arc … 97620.aspx

We set up a custom connector that will only accept connections from the Ignition server’s IP address and without requiring the NTLM authentication that was giving so much trouble.