Alert Summary Table Error

I’m using the latest version of Ignition on Ubuntu 10.04. It was working fine for the first few days, but now I get errors any time I pull up a screen with an Alert Summary Table on it. It happens in the designer or when I launch a project. I can start with a blank screen, and the second I put an Alert Summary Table on it, I get “Uncaught NullPointerException”.

Any ideas?

Can you post the details of the error message? The important stuff is in the stack trace.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractAlertUtilities.toDataset(AbstractAlertUtilities.java:106)
at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.components.AlertSummaryTable$EDTRunner.run(AlertSummaryTable.java:858)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Ignition v7.1.6 (b5739)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_20

I am not sure if this the cause of the problem, but the ExampleProject uses the following script in the Acknowledge All button the on the AlarmScreen window:

system.alert.acknowledgeAlert(systemStr, “”, “”)

Pushing the Acknowledge All button will corrupt the .alerts file. After that, Null pointer errors occur when system.alert functions are used. I talked with Tech support about this. It seems that the arguments in the system.alert.acknowledgeAlert function are not meant to be used as filter specifiers. This function ack’s one alert where each of the arguments (System, Path, and State Name) must be specified with one existing alarm. I don’t know if this function was intended to allow filters, but it does not seem to allow them now.

Ignition version is 7.1.6.

Thanks, Jay. I think that’s exactly what happened. I ended up restoring from a gateway backup, but would love to know how to fix this some other (less destructive) way in the future. Any ideas?

Jay, thanks for the accurate analysis of this problem. The underlying problem is a bug in the alert acknowledgement system that we will have fixed for the 7.1.7 release.

That function was not intended to use filters - the button in the example project is faulty, although it obviously shouldn’t cause such harm.

In case this happens to anyone else, the least intrusive way to fix it is to:

1. Shut down your Gateway.
  2. Remove the “[tt].alerts[/tt]” file from your /contexts/main folder.
  3. Start the Gateway back up.

Sorry for the trouble,