Allen Bradley picos

Anyone have experience with AB Pico PLCs? How do they compare with Micros?

See A-Bs website. My understanding is that they are very small DIN rail mounted PLCs programmable from the keypad for very small jobs

Not sure what the distinction is between AB pico controllers and Micrologix PLCs. Here’s the data from their site:

Pico controllers

Micrologix 1000 series

PLC stands for Programmable Logic Controller and they were originally design to replace all them panels full of relays.

This PICO thing is an evolution of a compromise between a standard PLC (more intelligence, more communication capability, more type of I/Os, more!) and a Programmable relay.

A few years ago some companies came up with Timers and counters which had imbeded in them many functions. In the never ending race to be number one some even started to include some little pieces of logic. You could use buttons to sort'a write some logic.

They had 2 inputs and one output. The next model had 4 ins and 2 outs.

They where called Intelligent Relays or Smart Relays. The race goes on.

Now, like this Pico, they can have analog inputs or outputs and have a lot more of them. They even can be programmed with a software.

Eventually they will reach the capacity of a low end PLC.

So whats the difference. Less and less every day.

We used to say that they where good for garage doors control, lawn sprinklers and lighting. Now they can do more.

Pierre,
Thanks for the info. Is there a significant price difference between high end “controllers” and low end PLCs? Using those controllers would make a lot of sense in small applications if they’re cheap!

[quote=“nathan”]Pierre,
Thanks for the info. Is there a significant price difference between high end “controllers” and low end PLCs? Using those controllers would make a lot of sense in small applications if they’re cheap![/quote]

I personally never use them for my time is way more costly er than the hardware I work on. Also you must think of the difference between the cost of purchase and the cost of ownership. Down the line I always am asked to add simple features to the systems I program. Simple is the key. What is or could be simple to do with a PLC could become very harsh to do with some more basic device.

IF and I restate the word IF you have a simple application THEN go for these devices. Its amazing how inexpensive they are.

This particular one is AB branded but if your cost can be an important factor look around for other brands, Mitsubishi, Siemens, they all have them “Smart relay”. The therm don’t seem to fit them anymore, they have become more than just smart relay. :smiley:

With AB, the price of the high end controler will be close to 50% lower than the lower end PLC.

But it could be 75% lower if you shop around other brands.

Pierre,
Awesome info…I really appreciate it! I would agree with what you’re saying for industrial applications - your time plus the extensibility issue certainly justifies PLCs.

However, if you’re doing tennis courts, sprinkler systems, or anything else that will remain fairly static, 50% could be significant. Especially if you’re an OEM programming once and building many.

For most of the integrators here you’re right. The 50% hardware cost represents very little programming time. Stick with PLCs…

I have install a couple of Crouzet Microcontrol Logic Controllers. They are like miniPLCs. You can do basic programing using the buttons on it or you can use software to do more advanced programming. They seem to have a pretty wide range of the applications that you can use them with. Here is a link to them. http://www.crouzet.com/catalogue_web/int/eng/23/Microcontrol-ENG-A23.htm

How much do they cost? Is the programming software included? Be cool to use this sort of device for controlling saltwater fish tanks.

Ought to check out the new Micrologix 1100 PLCs. They are Ethernet ready and support online programming. They are pretty inexpensive

Far as I’m concerned, any PLC that doesn’t support online programming is worthless.

Pretty cool looking, thanks for the info. A few more questions:

Do they come with an integrated power supply?
What programming software is used?
Is it included?
What’s the price range?

[quote=“shechtman”]Ought to check out the new Micrologix 1100 PLCs. They are Ethernet ready and support online programming. They are pretty inexpensive

Far as I’m concerned, any PLC that doesn’t support online programming is worthless.[/quote]

24vdc required, rslogix500, no, $650