Alternative Licenses

My first request is a development license. I know there is the 2 hour full version, which is great for most purposes. However, having a development license that runs all the time would be nice. It could be offered in conjunction with a paid license to make sure it doesn’t get abused.

Alternatively, a limited use license based on tag count could be an option too (free or paid). There are cases where all features of the works package are needed, but only for a handful of tags. This might also fit development environments mentioned above. I know this goes against the “unlimited” mindset and I would never propose that Inductive Automation not keep that as an option - that is a breath of fresh air.

While I’m asking, a free home version would be cool for people who want to run their house on Ignition (I would!). I can’t be the only one who would interface it to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi just because we can. For home-brew projects I’ve often wanted to use it because I’m not a huge software person, and am not ready to plunge into HTML5 and/or Javascript to make some graphs or real time display work.

Tom

You're certainly not alone in that regards. I recently moved, and as I work on the miscellaneous projects throughout the house, I've been eyeing up all of the different areas that I can hook an Arduino up to so I can automate/monitor it. Once I get a chance to write a Modbus implementation for the Arduino, I'll certainly try to find a way to run it using Ignition (I know there's probably tons of Arduino Modbus implementations already, but what's the fun in that... :laughing: ) I believe that for something such as 'free' home automation, we could use the 'Vision Panel Edition' to do so: inductiveautomation.com/pro ... l/download

For those too lazy to write their own Modbus TCP server for the Arduino, we’ve written one which we’ll be putting on Github soon :wink:

That’s funny, I was thinking of doing a Modbus TCP server for the raspberry pi.

There’s definitely synergy between the Raspberry Pi and Arduino. Arduino is still better at talking to low-level devices, using radio links etc., while the Raspberry Pi has extra grunt and ability to store things long term, run a web server etc.

Modbus might be a nice way to communicate between a Raspberry Pi and a network of Arduinos, although to do this the Raspberry Pi will need a Modbus TCP client, not server…

Funny I’m working on project at home also for GEM ‘Green Eye Monitor’ and 1wire temperature network.
Trying to get python script I found on internet hacked so it will read data into tags in ignition.