Automating Backups

Anyone know of a way to back up the Ignition Gateway to a different PC on the local network automatically?

Not sure but think you would need a public writable share on that server/networked PC. Not sure what credentials the gateway would be using to access a network share, is it the user that is setup in the config of the gateway?

That would be whatever user is running the service (by default, it’s the Local System account). If you run the service as a user with access to the share, then it should work. Sometimes though, some services just have to run as LocalSystem.

As an alternative, you could use something like Free File Sync. I use it to create mirrors of files/directories on different servers.

EDIT: Just so we’re clear, this is talking about Windows… :wink:

Not sure where he is running it. I was think more the Linux. If running on Linux could mount a network share on that box. You can then write to that share location which appears local.

Example: On a none Ignition server I have some backup software and that software writes local but is actually writing to a windows share across the network.

Jordan, I have to check out “Free File Sync” I use “RoboCopy” on some servers.

I’m thinking that it would still be dependent on the user the service is running under in Linux as well. Been a while since I’ve played with it.

EDIT: FreeFileSync has Linux flavors as well, but since I haven’t played with it, I can’t tell you whether is schedule-able or not. May be worth a look if you don’t want to mess around with user permissions on the service.

EDIT AGAIN(!): Looks like it’s about time to break out some new Linux distros and start reviewing. Now if only I can get them to give me a shiny new server to use… :laughing:

That would be whatever user is running the service (by default, it's the Local System account). If you run the service as a user with access to the share, then it should work. Sometimes though, some services just have to run as LocalSystem.

As an alternative, you could use something like Free File Sync. I use it to create mirrors of files/directories on different servers.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, this is talking about Windows... :wink:[/quote]

Thanks for that.

was hoping there is a way without using an external utility.