Automating UDT export via scripting/module

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a way to export UDTs (definitions, not instances) automatically from one central gateway “UDT Library” to multiple connected gateways via tag provider. We are considering using direct-transfer, or transfer via tag XML file. I know there is a built-in script to import this from an XML file (system.tag.loadFromFile), but there does not appear to be one for exporting to an XML file. Is there a way to extract XML data from a single tag via python scripting, or send to another gateway, or at least get the tag object serialized to XML via java module (haven’t found a means of getting a tag object from a tag path here though…)?

Essentially, we want to pick and choose which UDTs we want to transfer and have it done for us, whether it be direct or through XML, and there doesn’t seem to be a straightforward way to do that. Any ideas?

Best,
Roger

2 Likes

I am also experiencing this exact same issue. If you still need this, Please upvote on
https://inductiveautomation.canny.io/ignition-features-and-ideas/p/ignition-79-python-function-for-tag-export