Automation Professionals' EtherNet/IP Communication Suite V2

New Beta is now available:

v2.0.2.230360000 See comment below

Regarding the list a few comments back:

1. Aliases within AOIs work. Turns out that parameter aliases into local tags take on the external access of that local tags, but creating the alias in Studio 5000 automatically switches "None" to "Read Only" for that local tag. That means that many "sealed" AOIs that don't show any of their local tags (and cannot be fixed), do show them to my probe, and any local tags that have readable aliases will also be readable. This doesn't help much for optimization, but much more of the inner values are viewable.

2. Tag alias optimizations didn't make it. There are some alignment nuances that I haven't figured out.

3. Tags JSON that populates the entire processor's tags, using the Types JSON appropriately, is present but not exposed in the gateway. Go to the device's folder in the gateway filesystem if you want to use it. I'm leaving it that way, for now, because any large processor will be crushed if you try to subscribe to everything. And Ignition's memory usage will spike, too. (One of my PlantPax samples resolved to over a million tags. The handful of sealed AOIs made it not optimize very well. Ugly.) Anyways, prune the Types JSON to exclude the members that are unfixably unreadable, and then prune the Tags JSON (if you use it at all) to include only what you really need.

Also: There were a number of other fixes scattered through the module, including for NJ/NX and ML8xx processors.

There is some strange behavior on certain NJ/NX datatypes where writes to members will be acknowledged by the PLC but the data discarded. Similar members in other datatypes work properly, so I haven't figured out a pattern yet. Please report and share details if you run into this one.

Anyways, this beta is way better than the last. Enjoy!

{ Final note: I've decided that the reduced-price license will be simply device count limited, but otherwise have full client driver features. This fits better with future support for Edge deployments. I will be making the client driver Maker compatible, too.}

Edit: clarified #2 above.

3 Likes