Backup Restore options tab

First I wanted to ask about the Backup/Restore option in FSQL. I have tried this twice and both times on seperate machines, running the same version, which I think is 4.1.2 it does the same thing. If you click on the backup button and just type in a name for the backup it saves the backup as that name with no file extention. So now if you try to do a restore it says that this file is not a valid file. I was thinking of just adding the .FDB to the file but was unsure if this would work. Any ideas?

Second is more geared toward the restore function. Why is it when I try to restore a project it comes up with the error, RESTORE FAILED. With the explaination The file is in use by another process. I have written to Travis about this and he suggested I copy the file to another folder and try again. I did this and I get the same error message. Ihave tried it under different drives, different folders, changing the name, and still I get the same error message. Is there something that locks a file? If so how do I unlock it? Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you and may everyone have a great holiday.

Hi-

First off, in terms of the backup box, the file should have an FDB extension, and the fact that it’s not adding it to the path you type is an oversight. Adding the fdb extension yourself is no problem.

Next, the file lock issue… we’ve seen this reported before, but we haven’t been able to reliable replicate it.

So, the easiest thing to do is tell you the secret of what it’s doing behind the scenes, as it’s really very simple: it’s just copying and replacing the system_database.fdb file in the application directory. You can “backup” the system yourself by simply copying this file elsewhere. To restore, first STOP the FactorySQL service, replace the file, and start the service.

Hope that helps, and we’ll look into these problems again after the holidays.

Regards,

Colby, thanks for the reply. I am going to try this and see how it works. I do however have another questions reguarding FSQL. Does FSQL send over to KepServer the name of the file it should open? I ask this because I had an issue over the holiday weekend, while working at home, where I have three projects under Kepserver. One is the IADemo project, one is a test dummy project (where all the values are simulated), and the final one is that actual one I use at work. So when I went and opened up Kepserver I opened the dummy project. I already had my project in FSQL. But every time I went to run the groups in FSQL Kepserver would close the dummy project and open the IADemo project. There was one time where it did hang up and then after that I was unable to attach to the Kepserver. Not sure why but am now back to work after the holidays and am going to try some of the issues here at work. Just thought I would ask and see what light can be shed on it. Thanks again and have a great holiday.

[quote=“Colby.Clegg”]Hi-

First off, in terms of the backup box, the file should have an FDB extension, and the fact that it’s not adding it to the path you type is an oversight. Adding the fdb extension yourself is no problem.

Next, the file lock issue… we’ve seen this reported before, but we haven’t been able to reliable replicate it.

So, the easiest thing to do is tell you the secret of what it’s doing behind the scenes, as it’s really very simple: it’s just copying and replacing the system_database.fdb file in the application directory. You can “backup” the system yourself by simply copying this file elsewhere. To restore, first STOP the FactorySQL service, replace the file, and start the service.

Hope that helps, and we’ll look into these problems again after the holidays.

Regards,[/quote]

No, FactorySQL doesn’t “ask” for a particular project. Sounds like all you need to do is set the “default project” in Kepware to the file you want to use. Funny enough, I just wrote a post about that a few days ago, which you can find HERE

Regards,