BacNet/IP Device Stuck On Initializing

Hey folks,
I am having some trouble commissioning a BacNet IP device to monitor MS/TP on a chiller. When I put in all of the appropriate information in the device connections section it is stuck in a cycle of initializing and uninitializing. When changing any of the device settings either on the device or on the gateway it goes straight to failed. I am able to ping this device just fine. I have tried using a 0.0.0.0 local device which did not take. I have not yet set up the MS/TP side as that is being set up by the chiller vendor once we can ensure we have a good connection. This is my first experience with BacNet so please forgive any obvious oversights.

Thank you!

1 Like

Without target device on the MS/TP there is nothing to initialize.

The gateway is there to bounce traffic between the two networks, not for you to make a connection to and then eventually “browse” when the MS/TP device exists. The initialization is failing because presumably you’ve configured a remote device entry with some device number that simply doesn’t exist yet, so there’s nothing on that network answering the “whoIs” for that number, so you’re not initialized.

2 Likes

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for your quick reply!