Barcode scanner Input Perspective 8.1

In multiple places the helper text from the Barcode Scanner Input claims that it can use a mobile devices camera to read 1D/2D codes. For the life of me I can't seem to make it work. The previous posts said this wasn't yet supported however the current documentation says it does? I've tried using the Perspective App install version in addition to the browser.

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC81/Perspective+Module
run a Perspective session on your phone or tablet. This gives you the ability to use more of your device, like using the camera to scan barcodes or the built-in GPS to verify a location.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 132422

Has anyone gotten this component to function on a mobile device like it says its supposed to?

The Barcode Scanner Input component is meant for mobile devices with a real scanner integrated (not a camera), and where you can set up an intercharacter delay. It would, for example, work with a Zebra MC930. We did not manage to use it with a smartphone's camera.

If you want to scan a barcode thanks to your camera you should try using the “Scan Barcode” event, event that you can trigger however you want.

Then you can have access to the data scanned in Perspective > Session Events > Barcode.