Best CPU for Ignition development laptop

Hi, I need to know which CPU best fit for a laptop mainly for Ignition development, docker, Database, Python, etc.

AMD or Intel? And if you have a specific model that can withstand large projects dev envi mostly deployed on docker.

I know that there are many factors to this comparison, but I just need a general opinion.

I thinking of
AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX vs. Intel Core i7-13650HX
or
AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX vs. Intel Core i9-14900HX

I know that AMD is better with multi core, and Intel is better optimized for some tasks. But I don't know how Ignition, docker, Python and Databases are running.

Thanks

1 Like

It really doesn't matter, but my personal preference is for AMD.

Get at least 32gb ram in either case.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I will get 32GB RAM. Do you think there is much difference between 4800MHz and 5600MHz?

And out of curiosity, does Ignition, docker, Database, Python, etc. muti core tasks or single core?

Comparing CPU frequency across chip architectures, generations, and especially across brands
is meaningless.

Most of the software you mention can benefit from multiple cores.

2 Likes

I am planning an AMD system for my next upgrade. As many cores as practical, with 64GB or more of RAM.

3 Likes

Upgraded a few months ago to an Alienware m18 with an i9 in it and 64GB of RAM. Been happy with it, but it's not very portable as the power brick is literally about the size (and probably weight) of an actual brick.

1 Like

I'm a fan of the Thinkpad P14s AMD series:

• Ryzen 7 PRO
  • 64GB RAM
  • 16:10 2.8K screen
  • Physical RJ45 port
  • Actually portable
2 Likes

Be aware that some 13/14 generation Intel processors have had instability issues. Apparently, the desktop versions were worse, but the laptop versions were not perfect either... I'd do some reading on it before deciding on a modern Intel.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have settled for ASUS ROG Strix G17 with Ryzen 9 7845HX 12 Cores, RTX 4060, 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM, I will see if I can upgrade that to 64GB or not.

1 Like

I was a big AMD fanboy back in the day. Anyone remember the AMD Athlon (and overclocking by soldering some pads on the chip itself). Built many PCs with AMD until I got my first Thinkpad laptop. Been using Intel since then, though.

1 Like

Looks like a good laptop. Not a fan of the function key layout, but like the numpad/arrow key layout better than my Alienware where they decided to make the 0 the size of the 2 and the right arrow directly under the 1. (I dont know how many times I've hit the arrow when trying to enter a 0)

2 Likes

No you wont even see a difference for between the two and in fact will the machine will likely never hit those speeds anyhow as for heat throttling and other items. More a deal in high end Workstations or with Servers running AI and Simulation loads really from what i see day to day.

oh yea I had one of those Athlon bad boys! thew were way more advanced than the intel counterparts of the day let me tell you! And loved that socket design as well!