Best practice for Modbus configuration

I’m trying to figure out a good reason to manually configure the Modbus ranges in subscription groups. Everything seems stable and responsive without setting up ranges, so is there any reason I should?

Which ranges where? Sorry, not quite sure what you’re talking about. Are you talking about the “Addresses” config you can get to for each Modbus device?

Yes, the address range configurations for the Modbus device. Sorry if I was vague.

Right, those ranges are purely optional and for convenience. If you have a ton of tags that all happen to fall in a row then it just saves you some time over configuring them by hand. It also gives you the ability to browse and drag them into SQLTags, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Personally, I prefer to ignore that section, create them by hand in SQLTags, and make sure to give the tags good names. The other way just adds another layer of indirection. I prefer to see the actual modbus address in the item path, not an alias mapped on top of the actual address, which is what that address configuration table does.