Best practices to Integrate software

I am researching the best options to integrate custom software that is currently interfacing to the OPC UA server via PROSYS client.

Is it possible to define custom tags in the OPC UA server that can be intercepted by the custom software via client subscriptions for monitoring changes? The hope would be to implement minor command\control to the custom SW via the PROSYS client.

If this is not possible, what would be the best options to integrate? The reason this option is preferred is to reframe from some of the porting effort that would be needed to integrate with Java.

I believe this is the functionality I am looking for… Is it on the current roadmap for release any time soon?

Add Simulator Tags
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=6519

You could accomplish this immediately using the SDK by writing a “driver” for the the Ignition OPC-UA server. This is currently the only way to add/expose tags via OPC-UA.

I’ll try and see what kind of time frame we’re looking at for making the simulator driver customizable though.

Would the TagProviderExample be the best place in the SDK to start for this exercise, or is the generic simulators project available for modification?

No, the best place to start in the Module SDK examples is the weather driver. SQLTags are not exposed over OPC-UA.

I have reviewed and attempted to add the weather module to Ignition but recieved the following error.
com.inductiveautomation.weather.driver.WeatherDriver failed to parse version string “¿WeatherDriver.Meta.Version?”

I have reviewed and attempted to modify the Meta.Versoin in WeatherDriver.properties and build-weather.xml without success. What am I missing?

[quote=“moralesm”]I have reviewed and attempted to add the weather module to Ignition but recieved the following error.
com.inductiveautomation.weather.driver.WeatherDriver failed to parse version string “¿WeatherDriver.Meta.Version?”

[attachment=0]WeatherDriverMetaVersionProblem.jpg[/attachment]

I have reviewed and attempted to modify the Meta.Versoin in WeatherDriver.properties and build-weather.xml without success. What am I missing?[/quote]

There might be a problem with the build file we are distributing that doesn’t copy the version number into WeatherDriver.properties.

You can confirm this by unzipping the modl file that gets built and then unzipping the jar file and finding WeatherDriver.properties to see what the value is.

I’ll take a closer look when I get into the office.

Here is the contents of the extracted WeatherDriver.properties, thought maybe it would help your assesment.

#Wed Aug 31 18:21:22 CDT 2011
Meta.ReleaseDate=08/31/2011 06:21 PM
Meta.Version=1

Ok, so it looks like the wrong version number is being put into that properties file.

In build-weather.xml on line 83 where it replaces Meta.Version with “${version.build}”, change to to replace Meta.Version with “${WeatherModule.version}” and then rebuild/reload the module and see if it works.

Hi Kevin,

I have the similar problem.
If i build your workspace like this, it goes well.
If i try to change any of the MetaProprerty included in the weatherdriver.properties file, it does nothing…, when I load a new device, the device info are the same.
And when I make a new project, I have the same error moralesm had.
Can you help ?

Thx.

I had the same problems when starting with the api. The included build files generate the property files at the wrong location.
Search for

<param name="[replace]WeatherGateway.properties:Meta.Version" value="${version.build}" />

in the build file and try to insert the correct path to the properties file there.

You have to adjust every line with <param name="[replace]....

You also have to restart the gateway after making changes to property files. On windows systems, you have to restart the service manually, a restart using the GCU is not enough to reload property files.

If i remember right, there were some other issues with the build, but this may help to start.

Great !
Thanks for your help, I was missing the Gateway service restart…
it was not in the javadoc :laughing: