Best way to set up Ingition for 40+ plants

Hello. We have 20+ plants connected to a central server at HQ. We’re now considering switching to Ignition, and I have a question. Would I need to purchase 20+ ‘The Works’ packages to avoid issues if the connection to the central server goes down? Or is there a cheaper way to keep the HMIs working? Is ‘Local Client Fallback’ applicable to this case, and how does it work? Thank you!

How Local Client Fallback works is described here: support.inductiveautomation.com … llback.htm

It sounds like Local Client Fallback might work for you. But usually each plant has its own licensed Ignition server

The cost depends on what you need exactly. For example, how many computers would need Local Client Fallback at a plant. Do you only need to keep real-time status and control working, or do you need to cache logging information that will be sent to the server once the connection restores?

If you don’t want to lose data that is logged then you may need the SQL Bridge module.

Do you need the Alarm Notification module to work when the server connection breaks? You may need to buy local alarm notification module licenses.

Here’s a video about the local fall back architecture: inductiveuniversity.com/video/h … ion-basics

I have a similar situation that we are considering using Ignition for. I have watched the hub and spoke videos recommended. It seems as you mentioned that each “site” has its own server running with the alarming and what ever else was required.

My question is; am I correct then to assume we are saying is that to allow full autonomy and function with a loss of “main” server connection then basically you would need at least a basic package like the works at each location?

If that was the case it would be cost prohibitive as I am monitoring very small remote well site locations that barely cost $7000 total in the first place…is there any other option?

Am I understanding this all correctly.

Thanks and excuse my ignorance.

Checking in the manuals link, seems you can have local control and data logged…

what is meant by “This project should contain the minimal realtime information that you need to keep your operation running” for the fallback project?

We have very minimal control if any and maybe 10 - A/D points running.

So maybe the sql bridge and the fallback mod would work? with needing a full server package?

thanks

off topic…my sales lady im talking to is Vivian Mudge is that a common name in IA community or a relation?

Vivian is my wife, hence the Mudge last name. She is also a sales person that works for Inductive Automation.

My company, Perfect Abstractions, is an Inductive Automation integrator, like any other. Like you, Vivian is my sales lady too.

Best,

[quote=“darren@wacscada.com”]I have a similar situation that we are considering using Ignition for. I have watched the hub and spoke videos recommended. It seems as you mentioned that each “site” has its own server running with the alarming and what ever else was required.

My question is; am I correct then to assume we are saying is that to allow full autonomy and function with a loss of “main” server connection then basically you would need at least a basic package like the works at each location?

If that was the case it would be cost prohibitive as I am monitoring very small remote well site locations that barely cost $7000 total in the first place…is there any other option?

Am I understanding this all correctly.

Thanks and excuse my ignorance.[/quote]

we do oil and gas and the typical setup is ignition as the scada system and touchscreens, like a red lion or panelview for local control.

Thanks diat150,

That is more or less how we are doing now as well…Just learning about Ignition, trying to see what I can do with it.

thanks again.