Beta 7.2 problem with Mobile module running on Ubuntu 10.10

I have problem running Mobile client from an Ubuntu 10.10 gateway
Time out and Restart button keep reappear.
Running fine on Win XP gateway.

Check the logs from your Gateway (either through the web interface or by looking at the wrapper.log file). It should explain why it is unable to launch a new client.

I am having the same issue on Ubuntu 10.10. Is there a fix for this. I checked my logs and there is nothing helpful.

This is not just a Ubuntu problem, I’ve have it with Mandriva as well.

All that’s in the log file is 20 (2 a second for 10 seconds) lines like:
NFO | jvm 1 | 2011/01/26 14:19:01 | INFO [VMManager ] [14:19:01,190]: VMCreator starting 1 new client VMs.

Guys - are these headless linux installs?

nope.

Standard download and install with all the latest xwindow stuff.

Ok, we’re going to try a different tack then. From the Gateway’s Configuration section go to the Console, and then to the Levels tab. Find the logger named “Modules.Mobile.VMManager” and change it to Debug.

Now try and launch and look at the log. Assuming there are no obvious errors now, it should report exactly what command it is using to launch the mobile VM. You should be able to go into a console and run that command by hand. For example, it should be something like:
[tt]java -cp /usr/local/ignition/…[/tt] etc.

Run that command in a console and report back with what happens. If this sounds too technical, call in on Monday morning and we’ll walk you through it.

from the log file:

java, -cp, "/usr/local/bin/ignition/contexts/main/core/launch/launchclient.jar:/usr/local/bin/ignition/contexts/main/mobile_wdir/mobile-common.jar:/usr/local/bin/ignition/contexts/main/mobile_wdir/mobile-client-bootstrap.jar", -Dmobile.callback.interface=localhost, -Dmobile.callback.port=45900, -Xmx256M, com.inductiveautomation.mobile.MobileMain

When run on the command line:

No command 'java,' found, did you mean: Command 'javac' from package 'openjdk-6-jdk' (main) Command 'javac' from package 'gcj-4.3' (universe) Command 'javac' from package 'gcj-4.4-jdk' (main) Command 'javac' from package 'ecj' (main) Command 'javap' from package 'openjdk-6-jdk' (main) Command 'java' from package 'gcj-4.4-jre-headless' (main) Command 'java' from package 'openjdk-6-jre-headless' (main) Command 'java' from package 'gij-4.3' (universe) Command 'java' from package 'jamvm' (universe) Command 'java' from package 'cacao' (universe) Command 'javah' from package 'openjdk-6-jdk' (main) Command 'javah' from package 'gcj-4.3' (universe) Command 'javah' from package 'gcj-4.4-jdk' (main) java,: command not found robert@wiskers:/mnt/home/home/robert$ which java /usr/bin/java
When run again without the ','s:

java.lang.NullPointerException at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:186) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.setDefaultToolkit(VirtualToolkit.java:388) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.initDefaultToolkit(VirtualToolkit.java:86) at com.inductiveautomation.mobile.MobileMain.main(MobileMain.java:58) Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:287) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266) at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor1.newInstance(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:532) at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:372) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:325) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.setDefaultToolkit(VirtualToolkit.java:389) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:98) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:107) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:112) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:116) at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor1.newInstance(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:532) at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:372) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:325) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.setDefaultToolkit(VirtualToolkit.java:389) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:98) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:107) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:112) at gnu.awt.virtual.VirtualToolkit.<init>(VirtualToolkit.java:116) (snip)

Had to remove a bunch of messages. They looked like the last ones. I can only post 60000 characters, I need 74935 :mrgreen:
Somebody practicing recursion?

And just for the fun of it:

java -version java version "1.6.0_20" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.4) (6b20-1.9.4-0ubuntu1~10.04.1) OpenJDK Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

Robert - it looks like you’re running an old version. That stack overflow error was fixed in build 6469.

I’ll update and try again tonight

Updated to the latest build (b6558), I also upgraded to the latest Java from www.java.com/en. I had to manually delete a java dir or two because Synaptic didn’t remove all the old stuff.

Now I get:

robert@wiskers:/usr/local/bin/ignition$ java -version java version "1.6.0_23" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_23-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

And it works :thumb_right: at least on ubuntu. I can’t touch the Mandrake system until the end of the week.