Broadcast Ignition Client to a Raspberry Pi hooked up to TV using VNC Viewer

I want to know if anyone has tried just using VNC Viewer (or the like) on a Raspberry Pi hooked up to a Smart TV via HDMI to display an Ignition Client that is running on an arbitrary box that is perhaps just in a server room. I have tested this with two different computers and it seems to be fine right now, but the goal is to have this be running continuously and be undisturbed. For the end client, this is just a non interactive TV screen that will always be running and showing some overview information.

• If you have tried this setup, was it successful? If not, what prevented it from being successful?

• Does anyone foresee any issues with this?

• Could this be a workaround for the issues that some people seem to be having with Chromebits?

I haven’t tried this, but it seems like a bunch of trouble. Why not just run the client on the rPi directly? Running it elsewhere and cobbling together a remote viewing layer just adds more breakable parts to the setup. IMNSHO.

Yeah, that was my thinking for this as well, but I know that this project is very busy–many different tags, transactions and queries are being polled regularly.

Granted I know that the Gateway does most of the “work” in this regard (please correct me if I’m wrong), but so too does the machine that is running the project client as well, right? If that’s the case, then does the rPi 3+ have the specs to actually run a client such as this? I was thinking it would not be able to, which made me think that I should just have it behave as a remote viewing layer as you put it, would be better. If it is the case that the client can be pretty lean in terms of specs, then I will just have the rPi run project.

The only kicker would be if the app was too complex to fit in a 32-bit java runtime. Otherwise, I’d expect the latest rPi’s to be more than suitable.

Asus do a very similar board called the tinker. Same form factor but with more horse power.

If you can run network cables to the TV, you could run HDMI over it and miss out the pi altogether.