Browsercore64 gone wild

Using Ignition 8.0.9 on Linux. After about 60 minutes of work, a view with a time series chart errored. After that browsercore64 went to 116% of CPU and stayed there until I shut down designer.

This is what is locking up browsercore64:
11:52:02.538 [Browser Events Thread] INFO Perspective.Designer.BrowserConsole - [mobx] Encountered an uncaught exception that was thrown by a reaction or observer component, in: ‘Reaction[Reaction@10119]’
11:52:03.463 [Browser Events Thread] INFO Perspective.Designer.BrowserConsole - [mobx] Encountered an uncaught exception that was thrown by a reaction or observer component, in: ‘Reaction[Reaction@10119]’
11:52:04.349 [Browser Events Thread] INFO Perspective.Designer.BrowserConsole - [mobx] Encountered an uncaught exception that was thrown by a reaction or observer component, in: ‘Reaction[Reaction@10119]’

This occurs about every 0.9 seconds. I haven’t a clue on how to debug this…

For anyone checking out this thread. Support is still working one it. It occurs on both Windows and Linux designers (although the browser core has a different name). It seems to be related to the synchronization step when opening the view in designer. With a complicated time series chart (multiple series with multiple trends) it locks up about 75% of the time upon opening the view. It does not lock up when opening the view as a client. This problem started at 8.0.8 and still exists in 8.0.9.

Are you able to try nightly builds? The 8.0.11 nightly that’ll be available tomorrow has a fix that may resolve this.

I have a development platform I can test it on

Paul,

I had a breakthrough with my testing. It is not the time series chart that is throwing the error. It is the tag history binding to an expression that is causing the error. I can create the problem without a chart.

The expression has nothing to do with it. I can create the same effect with a direct tag history binding.

There’s a bunch of ways to hit it, if it’s the bug I think it is - it’s apparently something fairly fundamental in Perspective, so it can happen in a bunch of different ways. Like I said, we’ve identified (at least one source) of problems, and fixed that in 8.0.10, so you can try the RC or the 8.0.11 nightly that’ll be up tomorrow.

Paul, I don’t see 8.0.10-RC1 but I do see 8.0.11 Nightly. I would prefer to use a release candidate since they are typically more stable. Is it coming out today or do I need to use the 8.0.11-Nightly?

It’ll be out very soon - I can’t promise today, but almost certainly this week.

8.0.10 RC1 is up on the website now. https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/ignition/8.0.10-rc1

Unfortunately, this RC did not fix the problem. (Thankfully it did fix some other big ones.) I can reproduce this error any time you would like to watch.

@PGriffith

I need to retract that, it did fix the problem in a roundabout way.

What was causing the chart to lock up was triggered by multiple items a lot of which were fixed by this release. However, one binding to calculate the max for one of the trends was also contributing to the problem. However, as a part of 8.0.10-rc1, the time series chart will automatically calculate the max for a chart. Therefore, I do not need that binding. With its removal plus the improvements made to this release, the charts are now working and no longer locking up.

I do believe there are some underlying issues waiting to break later especially in regards to basic datasets as a part of json. But, for now, I consider this case solved.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like