[BUG-11682] Can't Import Vision Client Tags

I exported a single simple client tag from 7.9 and it doesn’t import into the new “Vision Client Tags” folder in 8.0. It will import into the default tag provider. I assume we will be able to import client tags from previous versions of Ignition? I suppose I can recreate them from scratch but it will make migrating projects from 7.9 to 8.0 more complex.

[ClientProgressManager-1] ERROR com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tags.tree.action.ImportTagAction$TagImportTask - null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null

Windows Server 2012 R2
Ignition Beta 11/30/2018

Thanks.

Client tag to test with
ClientTag.xml (167 Bytes)

There are a few open issues with Exporting and Importing of tags in 8.0. We are aware of the Client tag issues and they will be prioritized appropriately.

Until then, current backups can be restored into 8.0. All Vision Client tags should come in with the backup. I know it might not be optimal, but it would be quicker than manually entering the tags that are needed.

One additional thing, Vision Client tags will not work with the Perspective module. If your goal is to redo a Vision Project in Perspective, Perspective’s replacement for Vision Client tags is Session Properties. Please let me know if you need an example of how this works.

Thanks,
Garth

As another migration strategy, you can export them as project resources within the designer (not through the tag browser, but in File -> Export) and then import those resources into an 8.0 system.

1 Like

This issue was fixed in the build that was uploaded today (2/4).
Please let us know if you continue to see this behavior after upgrading.

I still can’t import client tags. File → Export in the top menu in 7.9.9 (b2018081621)
File → Import in 8.0.0-beta0 (b2019031202)
Windows 7

The error in the console is “NameError: name ‘project’ is not defined”

Client Tags.proj (8.8 KB)

Actually just upgraded to 8.0.0-beta0 (b2019031402) and the vision client tags are there. I think the “NameError: name ‘project’ is not defined” error threw me off, maybe they were there but I needed to refresh the tag browser? I don’t know.
I will mark this as fixed.
Thanks!

1 Like

i have this same issue on 8.1.25

This trick works though