[BUG 1199] 8.1.0 Vision single-step z-order buttons don't work properly for lines

When you have lines crossing over each other, changing the z-order by one step is super dodgy.
See screen capture below.
Notes:

1. I’m trying to get the lines below the fat red line to appear on top of the red line
  2. I reduced capture rate to 5fps, when I click the z-order buttons multiple times it looks like I’ve only clicked them 2-3 times, but really it’s more like 10-15
  3. Note when I drag over the black freehand line so that it intersects the lines that I want to change z-order of, it now works.
  4. Ignore my fails when I click the wrong z-order buttons (send backward)…

v8.1.0_ZOrderBug.zip (7.2 KB)

You might be mis-understanding z-order in Vision. It isn’t a number that represents geometry. It really is just the painting order of the list of components in that container. Clicking send forward or send backward is just moving the selected component in the paint order list, whether they are visually adjacent or not. By default,new components are added to the end of the list, placing them in “front”.

Hey, I’m onto you, you already reported this in 2018!

I looked into this with support at the time, and turns out there’s actually some logic in the z-ordering buttons that breaks down for line segments - the designer tries to determine how components are overlapped, so moving a component in the z-order stack actually works if you press the button once, instead of having to walk the whole z-order stack manually. Normally, that works great - but it’s “hard” to tell whether line segments are overlapping each other/other components, and so the code is essentially a stub that was never completed.

Heh. I don't want to admit how many of those I have.

I had a feeling I had reported it already :slightly_smiling_face:
And that’s exactly what I suspected was the case (hard to detect intersections). Hard = challenge = fun, though, amiright?? :wink:

Not sure if this is what you meant, but most graphic apps do as Paul said, and move the selected component up or down the paint / z order based on the objects they are touching, not based on all of the objects on the page. Otherwise you could be there for a while clicking if you have a lot of components, and for most of that time you would think nothing was happening.

1 Like

This is still not working in v8.1.7… :roll_eyes:

Yes, because it’s still sitting at a low priority in our internal backlog. We’ve got a lot of tickets…

Hmmm, this doesn't sound very... good... :worried: