[Bug-12013] Perspective Missing in the Designer

Downloaded and installed the beta version as of 2019-01-08 08:00, and perspective is missing from the designer.

The following is in the designer console log

08:56:32.094 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR designer.main - Failed to start Perspective module - unable to initialize browser
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/teamdev/jxbrowser/chromium/BrowserPreferences
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.JXBrowserUtil.startup(JXBrowserUtil.java:29)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.loadModules(IgnitionDesigner.java:753)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.startup(IgnitionDesigner.java:453)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook$2.run(DesignerStartupHook.java:313)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.BrowserPreferences
	at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 17 common frames omitted

1 Like

Thanks for the report, we're looking into the issue and will get it resolved in an upcoming beta update.

I also have this issue. The wrapper.log shows the following error:

org.xml.sax.SAXException: XML Parsing of optional library manifest 'file.xml' failed due missing file 'jxbrowser-6.22.jar.jar'
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: lib/opt/jxbrowser/jxbrowser-6.22.jar.jar (No such file or directory)

/usr/local/bin/ignition/lib/opt/jxbrowser/jxbrowser-6.22.jar exists, but /usr/local/bin/ignition/lib/opt/jxbrowser/jxbrowser-6.22.jar.jar does not.

I tried adding a symlink for the .jar.jar as a workaround, but that doesn’t seem to change anything.

This got fixed yesterday but I don’t know if the nightly build was successful.

(Still having this today… was told in the post I made today, 1-9-19, that this will be fixed in the next few nightlies)

I have the same problem:

10:08:45.944 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR designer.main - Failed to start Perspective module - unable to initialize browser
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/teamdev/jxbrowser/chromium/BrowserPreferences
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.JXBrowserUtil.startup(JXBrowserUtil.java:29)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.loadModules(IgnitionDesigner.java:753)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.startup(IgnitionDesigner.java:453)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook$2.run(DesignerStartupHook.java:313)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.BrowserPreferences
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
… 17 common frames omitted

Doesn’t look like last night’s publication included the fix, but it should be fixed in tomorrow’s build, so if your build is from 11Jan2018 or later and you continue to see issues with jxbrowser loading, please let us know.

1 Like

This issue will be fixed (separate from the main issue in this thread) in the next nightly build as well.

These issues were fixed in the build that was uploaded today (1/11). Please let us know if you continue to see this behavior after upgrading.

Confirmation. Perspective is back in the designer.

1 Like

I have the most recent version and am running on mac. I don't have the perspective tab in my project browser. I can't find anything in the forum recently regarding the issue. This was the closest I found but since it was so old I don't feel like it is relevant to the issue I'm having.

Have you checked to make sure the Perspective module is installed?

Are there any errors in the Designer console/logs after it starts?

Sorry I’m very new to this. I just uninstalled and am going to reinstall. How do I check those?

I did find that is is activated and running in module configuration

It looks like there is an error at the bottom of the console logs. Can you copy and paste the entire thing here?

21:39:51.063 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Downloading... [+0]
21:39:51.337 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Cleanup... [+274]
21:39:51.364 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Initializing UI... [+301]
21:39:51.459 [DesignerExecEngine-1] INFO tags.subscriptions - Changing connected quality to 'Good'
21:39:51.459 [Designer-Startup] INFO tags.manager.gwinterface - Tag poll rate changed to 250 ms
21:39:57.068 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Perspective [+6005]
21:40:01.504 [Designer-Startup] INFO Perspective.Designer - Starting up Perspective module. Mode: Activated
21:40:02.109 [Designer-Startup] ERROR designer.JXBrowserUtil - Failed to start Browser Engine with options
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.EngineOptions:
autoplayEnabled: false
chromiumDir: /Users/Chris/.ignition/cache/resources/jxbrowser/7.36.3
chromiumSwitches:
diskCacheSize:
fileAccessFromFilesAllowed: false
isGpuDisabled: false
isIncognitoEnabled:false
language:en
passwordStore:
remoteDebugginPort: 9222
renderingMode: OFF_SCREEN
isSandboxDisabled: false
secureOriginWhitelist:
isTouchMenuEnabled: false
userAgent:
userDataDir:/var/folders/5h/p0w_wg295yq9hhpq2f6fm3qr0000gs/T/JxBrowser-UserData-8e984cde-4e2f-4fb2-ba0b-2e60f6d24828
webSecurityDisabled: false
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.ChromiumProcessStartupFailureException: Process exit code: 134
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.internal.EngineImpl.newInstance(EngineImpl.java:220)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.Engine.newInstance(Engine.java:163)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.lambda$getOrCreateEngine$2(JxBrowserUtil.java:347)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.runResourceLockedAction(JxBrowserUtil.java:553)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.getOrCreateEngine(JxBrowserUtil.java:347)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.JxBrowserUtil.getOrCreateEngine(JxBrowserUtil.java:406)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.startup(DesignerHook.java:226)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$LoadedModule.startup(IgnitionDesigner.java:1994)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.startupModule(IgnitionDesigner.java:1202)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.loadProject(IgnitionDesigner.java:998)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$StartupProjectDialogHandler.lambda$new$2(IgnitionDesigner.java:2058)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
21:40:02.262 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Alarm Notification [+11199]
21:40:02.724 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: SFC [+11661]
21:40:04.257 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: OPC-UA [+13194]
21:40:04.258 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: SQL Bridge [+13194]
21:40:04.892 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Starting module: Reporting [+13828]
21:40:05.009 [Designer-Startup] INFO reporting.Designer - Starting up Reporting Module. Mode: Activated
21:40:05.358 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Initializing Scripting... [+14295]
21:40:05.462 [Designer-Startup] INFO designer.main - Initializing UI... [+14399]

What version of macOS is that? Looks a bit old. The version of Chromium used by the Perspective module in the Designer requires at least macOS 10.15.

That’s one thing I was afraid of. It is 10.13.6. It’s an old computer but I couldn’t get it on my newer computer I think because of the VPN. It would install but never accept the license. Sounds like I will have to figure something else out then.