[BUG-12519] Scripting character / cursor position

@BinaryBush do you only see it at a fractional scaling value and not at a proportional one? (like 200%)

Thanks,
Jonathan C

Hi Jonathan,
Yes this is the case. 200% works fine, 150% does not.

EDIT: It seems I may have made that conclusion too soon, after using it at 200% for a few minutes this issue returned.

1 Like

Any new progress on this bug? Using a 4k monitor at 100% zoom level is taking it’s toll on my eyes.

@jcoffman @BinaryBush I’m also experiencing this issue on 8.1.2 with a 4K monitor set to 150% scaling. I looked through the release notes for 8.1.3-7 but didn’t see any mention of this, so not sure if its been fixed or not. I also changed the scaling on my 1200p and 1080p monitors to 125% and the issue then shows up as well, but are fine at 100%. So I believe it is a scaling issue, maybe Java related? Additionally the 200% scaling does seem to work for me on my 4K monitor.

This does seem to be an x-axis issue and oddly enough, it gets worse the further along the x-axis I travel with the mouse cursor. If I click on a line in a script library within the first 10 characters, it seems to be accurate, but as I move to the right that is when I click and the cursor appears 2-3 characters to the right of where I clicked. The further right I go the worse that character offset gets. Additionally, if I launch a designer this issue isn’t present right away, but after a few minutes it starts acting up.

I also launched a 7.9.x designer and I have no issues.

Yes this is the exact issue I have, and no it is not fixed in 8.1.7.

You should do some more testing with 200% scaling, in my tests, it went okay for a little while but as I scrolled further down a script it started to present itself again.

1 Like

Hello,

Soft Bump

Experiencing the same issue, and it is utterly annoying. Cursor simply does not end up where you click, but offsets x amount of characters to the right.

Affected setups:

1920x1080 150% DPI
3840x2160 150% DPI

Only in 100% & 200% DPI it works fine.

As a work around we change DPI to 200% when scripting, but our fancy 4K 32" monitor real-estate is lost this way. And I specifically purchased these monitors to show all panels when editing while keeping a full preview on the preview window.

1 Like

This bug is still present, tried to delete the cache as well. Been using 4K monitors many years now. Is it not the new standard?

1 Like

This happens to me as well. I’ve noticed that if you zoom in your script area the accurate improves a little

Any news?

Scaling 100% is to small, 200 % is to big.

The editor used for scripting is being replaced (hopefully as soon as 8.1.17). The new editor doesn’t have this issue.

6 Likes

One day if this used Monaco, it would be an insane leap forward. Could allow for easy vs code style extension integration with js in the built in editors

EDIT: though I would think this is very pro perspective, and a bit harder for vision. Since it is a web based thing that would fit better in electron or something like the chromium preview than in a swing popup.

Not to revive this old topic, but is there any progress on this? Got a new laptop and was working on my normal desktop monitors without issue, then went on the road and was having issues. Since one of the first things I did was upgrade my Docker instance to 8.1.39 to play with (before even opening the designer today), and I was having the issue described here. This caused me to think it was 8.1.39, so connected to older gateways and had the same issue. Then remoted into a different server through RDP and had no issues even with 8.1.39. That's when I found this, and see that only 100% and 200% really work, but 100% is too small to see, and 200% is way too big (although as I get older I'll probably want more things at 200%) :smile: