[Bug-13211] Pages turns into folders

The behavior you unexpectedly encountered :
In the past few days i worked on pages layout (adding components etc.). Save the project, close ignition then leave work. The next day i reopen the project the pages i created/modified turns into folders and i’m unable to open them.
This happened for 3 days in a row.

The behavior you were expecting to see :
Maybe pages shouldn’t turn into folders? Without letting me loose all my work?

A list of the steps you took that exposed the issue :

• Startup virtual machine;
  • Open ignition designer;
  • Create/edit page;
  • Save the project;
  • Close ignition;
  • Power off virtual machine and PC;
  • Next day, Power on PC;
  • Start virtual machine;
  • Open ignition designer;
  • Load the project;
  • Pages created/modified turned into folders.

A list of helpful information about the situation you were in :
Software: VMWare Workstation PRO v15.1.0
Software: Ignition 8.0.4 STABLE

Today i tried to upgrade Ignition version to 8.0.5 RC1 but the problem remain.

Probably a duplicate of Perspective View & Vision Windows Turn into Folders

Perhaps also call support?

I tried to contact support like 3-4 times in 2 years and i’ve never got an answer.
Btw, i tried to open a ticket, again. Hope someone will answer to my question.

If someone had this problem fixed, maybe he/she will give me the solution, bypassing the support. That’s why i posted on the forum.

Thank you anyway.

I was able to get them to reply after a week or so. Waiting on their fix to come through the wire

I never had issues calling them during Californian business hours (since we’re based in Europe, that usually means we have to wait until the evening).
And tickets also get resolved eventually, albeit a bit slower than a phone call. But I guess that’s a quite normal process…

This is likely the same as the issue @Sanderd17 linked. We’ve had sporadic reports since 8.0.0, but only recently got semi-reliable reproduction steps. It’s right at the top of our list to fix, but due to the way our release schedule works, will go into 8.0.6 at the earliest - that’s assuming everything goes well with the fix and QA.

@PGriffith, since you know some steps to reproduce it, do you also know what could be avoided to not run into this bug?

Bugs like these do scare us to make the switch from 7.9 to 8. While we would like to enjoy the features of 8.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, so far the only thing we really know is that it’s caused by contention between the process of updating resources on disk, and updating the gateway’s in-memory knowledge of the project structure. Best guess is that one of those processes isn’t fully atomic, ie it’s not locking a file when it should be. I don’t have great advice on how to mitigate that risk, beyond ensuring you have regular scheduled backups, and ensuring saves processed successfully on disk after you’ve done them from the designer.

This issue was fixed in the 8.0.6 nightly build that was uploaded today (10/21).

Hi PGriffith,
Ignition designer V8.1.11
Im currently having problems with my Vision Graphic Pages are turning into Graphics Folders.
It seems that were filling loading up the server which is deleting, moving the graphics pages.
Is there a fix to retrieve the data, Im currently onsite ready to hand over the project to the client.
HELP Please.

The forum isn’t an official support channel. I’d recommend calling in to support if it’s an emergency.

2 Likes