[BUG-14839] Any script referencing properties fails in all 8.0.5 Versions (Randomly)

I have spoken with support about this bug, and I am fairly certain its already in the bug tracker, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced it and has any idea how to resolve it.

Ever since 8.0.5 (and still seems to be in the 8.0.6 Nightly) every script I run that references a property on a component or view fails with the error below, meaning almost anywhere that I use scripting the application fails, and spams the logs with tons of these errors. Looking up that jython issue, it looks to have been fixed in jython 2.7.2, but ignition is running 2.7.1.

It will only start and stop happening seemingly randomly. The only thing I can figure out that fixes it is restarting the gateway.

I dont want to reset back to 8.0.4 in that gateway because another crucial bug I needed fixed was fixed in 8.0.5 so I would be losing that too.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if they have, any ideas on how to make it stop happening, even temporarily so I can continue development?

I greatly appreciate any help or advice.

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.JythonExecException: Traceback (most recent call last): File “”, line 12, in onMessageReceived SystemError: getattribute not found on type ComponentModelScriptWrapper$SafetyWrapper. See Issue 2487: PyType.fromClass publication bug on slow systems (travis, circleci) - Jython tracker for details.
at org.python.core.Py.SystemError(Py.java:275)
at org.python.core.Deriveds.findattr_ex(Deriveds.java:59)
at org.python.core.PyObjectDerived.findattr_ex(PyObjectDerived.java:1036)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.script.PropertyTreeOwnerScriptWrapper.findattr_ex(PropertyTreeOwnerScriptWrapper.java:40)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.script.ComponentModelScriptWrapper.findattr_ex(ComponentModelScriptWrapper.java:51)
at org.python.core.PyObject.getattr(PyObject.java:1025)
at org.python.pycode._pyx1626.onMessageReceived$1(:12)
at org.python.pycode._pyx1626.call_function()
at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:171)
at org.python.core.PyBaseCode.call(PyBaseCode.java:308)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.function___call__(PyFunction.java:471)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.call(PyFunction.java:466)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.call(PyFunction.java:456)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.call(PyFunction.java:451)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager.runFunction(ScriptManager.java:788)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager$ScriptFunctionImpl.invoke(ScriptManager.java:917)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectScriptLifecycle$AutoRecompilingScriptFunction.invoke(ProjectScriptLifecycle.java:625)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.script.ScriptFunctionHelper.invoke(ScriptFunctionHelper.java:91)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.MessageHandlerCollection$MessageHandlerImpl$1.lambda$invoke$0(MessageHandlerCollection.java:80)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.python.core.PyException: Traceback (most recent call last): File “”, line 12, in onMessageReceived SystemError: getattribute not found on type ComponentModelScriptWrapper$SafetyWrapper. See Issue 2487: PyType.fromClass publication bug on slow systems (travis, circleci) - Jython tracker for details.
… 24 common frames omitted

Hmm, based on what I’m reading in the Jython bug, it’s not a problem we directly introduced, just something that was exposed by changes made recently to the ‘SafetyWrapper’ objects. The fix is probably going to be to update or patch our version of Jython. I’ve raised some red flags so we can get the right people (not me :slight_smile: ) working on this.

1 Like

Any word on a jython upgrade? I’m having issues with the CSV library that is fixed in 2.7.2

1 Like

No timeline yet - we run a few patches on top of the main Jython distribution to cherry pick bug fixes back to our version(s), so it’s a bit of a surgical process to fast-forward our version up to where Jython core’s at and not lose any of those bug fixes.