[BUG-15165] 8.0.5 RC1 upgrade - Structure contains invalid parent data types on all Tag instances

We were on 8.0.4 and upgraded to 8.0.5 RC1 and non of our tags work and have, bad - configuration errors. When I go into the tag instances, they all have the error: “Structure contains invalid parent data types.” Any ideas of what happened?

Can you export the tags from 8.0.5 and post it here? Maybe in a PM. Also, if you had a tag export of the tags in 8.0.4, it would be really useful and allow us to troubleshoot whatever happened during the upgrade.

It looks like what you hit is specific to 8.0.5. In your case, you have some OPC items paths being built out of UDT parameters. You are using parameters in a composite UDT (where a top-level UDT definition contains an instance of a different UDT). For whatever reason, the top-level parameters are coming in as null on the OPC tag trying to use them. I filed a ticket to get this fixed, as something definitely broke between 8.0.4 and 8.0.5.

1 Like

This is fixed in the stable release of 8.0.5 that was released yesterday (10/16)

Ignition 8.0.5 (final release)
@awalker, @mgross

I still have this message for some binding with udt parameter.


OpcItemPath is not computed:

Restarting the tag has no effect.

I can confirm that upgrading to 8.0.5 stable has fixed our issue in the original posting.

I have upgraded to 8.0.6 (from 0.5) and I still have this issue.
Is there a way to solve it?

Has anyone found any more information on a fix for this?

I’m running “8.0.6 (b2019111216)” and still seem to have the issue:


Yeah I have this too, but only on tags that are offline (8.0.7)

I have the same issue on 8.0.12 (a UDT which does not have a parent and which contains OPC tags having their OPC Item Paths constructed from UDT variables all showing an error state and with the UDT editor displaying the error “Structure contains invalid parent data types.”).

Hopefully someone from IA can chime in, but it looks like there has been several UDT fixes in the upcoming 8.0.13 release. I know my original issue I posted here was fixed in 8.0.5.

I am having this issue in 8.1.0 LTS Stable

I’m also seeing this in 8.1.0 LTS Stable

@Joe.Cocchini @roberto.camp

Not sure if it will help you, i found this thread after having problems after upgrading a 7.9 system to 8.1.0 LTS.

I imported a UDT from another server (all default settings were used on both instances) and I too had the same problem. The only difference being I didn’t get the nice squiggly lines to specifically highlight the problem area as in the screenshots above.

In any case, for me it was a typo in how the default ignition OPC server named itself on the newer install. The import kept the old name, but the new server name was different slightly.

It’s a long shot, but see attached!

1 Like

Roberto Thank you very much. I found a solution to my problem a while back.

Here is a brief description, although it was a while ago so the exact details escape me.

The original programmer had copied a UDT structure to play around with.

Inside were some other UDT datatypes that no longer existed in the original project.

The import was not completing even though I didn’t receive an error, and I ended up with partially imported UDTs

I thought maybe the import is choking on the bad UDT once I discovered it.

I went back to the original project and deleted the Junk UDT.

After that the import worked properly.

1 Like

I just want to add here that the Tag Group may be an issue when importing from old projects. To resolve just select all tags within UDT and set tag group to default or the appropriate group.