[Bug 15520] OPC-HDA Data in a Perspective Chart

I’m trying to pull data out of a PI historical system to use in a perspective Time Series or XY Chart. I’m having a hard time getting it cooperate since I can’t browse the HDA sources under the tag history tab on the bindings.

What I did manage to do was make use the system.tag.queryTagHistory command with the HDA provider and got a dataset back that was like 500 rows and 2 columns (Timestamp and value great news!). I thought I was off to a good start so I built a generic script you feed the PI tag path back and it pulls the history into a dataset.

Then I went to bind this to the time series chart and was met with an error…The dataset pulls in correctly but I was met with a blank chart and my dataset example object was changed into a value:Dataset[2108x2]. So now my question is: How do you bind datasets to play nicely with the new perspective charts?

Can I also request a feature to add HDA browsing back to the Tag History binding like in vision?

You need to change the xAxes, yAxes, and series props to match your incoming data

Hi @Tbthomps, I was wondering if you were able to make this work?

I’m working on the exact same issue right now… existing GE Proficy Historian connected via OPC-HDA, but I’m also struggling to bring this data into Perspective.

I second the request to add an OPC-HDA browsing feature into Perspective!

It's on the list - probably fairly soon.

3 Likes

To help anyone in future, I solved my issue, although I’m not sure if this is the same issue @Tbthomps had above.

I was also able to bind an OPC-HDA historical tag dataset to the time-series chart and when previewing the dataset it displayed all the correct time stamps and values, but the chart was still blank (I double checked my chart config multiple times).

I finally found the issue was the dataset header name for the tag value column. The OPC-HDA server tags contained “.” (periods) in the tagname. Apparently Ignition datasets don’t like this. I added some script to change any “.” to “_” and the chart showed up immediately.

Here’s an example of the script:

endTime = system.date.now()
	startTime = system.date.addMinutes(endTime, -1)
	dataSet = system.tag.queryTagHistory(paths=['[Matrikon]Random.Real4'], startDate=startTime, endDate=endTime, returnSize=1, aggregationMode="Maximum", returnFormat='Wide')

headersIn = system.dataset.getColumnHeaders(dataSet)	#get all column headers
	headersOut = [h.replace('.', '_') for h in headersIn]	#look through headers and replace "." with "_"

datasetOut = system.tag.queryTagHistory(paths=['[Matrikon]Random.Real4'],columnNames=headersOut, startDate=startTime, endDate=endTime, returnSize=-1, aggregationMode="Maximum", returnFormat='Wide')
	return datasetOut

Thank you Jeffcd, I bet I run into the same problem as my tag names do have a “.” in them. Thanks for the script!!!

Hi @PGriffith, I’ve run into this problem, and while looking through the forums I’ve found a few other posts dealing with this specific topic of browsing historical tags in perspective.

You’ve said it’s on the shortlist but I was wondering if it would be beneficial or useful to put it up on the Ignition Features and Ideas page, or not because it’s already on the ‘shortlist.’

Thank you