[BUG] 8.1.0 Deleting and re-importing a UDT that has instances with overrides on tags do not remember override config

As in the title.
Example:
UDT definition

UDT definition tags

UDT instance

UDT instance overrides on tag ‘Flow Detected’

Delete UDT definition ‘Pump’ then re-import it back in.

UDT instance overrides now missing!

This issue has stumped me for a while, but I finally worked out how to produce it. Very annoying, as this basically stops me from using Json copy and paste, as using this method merges tag changes instead of overwriting them, meaning deleted tags in the import remain there…

Do you know of a way to detect overrides inside UDT tags using scripting at all?
Trying to find where overrides need to be taken off, but its quite a needle in a haystack when dealing with the entire project tag database,.

If a tag within a UDT instance has anything but name and tagType then it has overrides on it and those overrides are those other properties.

E.g.

{
  "name": "New Instance",
  "typeId": "_TEST/UDT 1",
  "parameters": {
    "Description": {
      "dataType": "String",
      "value": "asdasdasd"
    },
    "DeviceName": {
      "dataType": "String",
      "value": "asdasdasd"
    }
  },
  "tagType": "UdtInstance",
  "tags": [
    {
      "enabled": false, <--- This property is overridden from the template
      "name": "Tag 1",
      "tagType": "AtomicTag"
    },

Bump. This is still a (very concerning and potentially disastrous) issue in 8.1.25

Is this in the features and ideas list somewhere? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

I wouldn't call this a feature request. This is a breaking bug that can remove tag configuration and cause downtime and potentially hours or days of work to fix up all the UDT instances affected (when you finally realise the issue). This is the bug that has made me extremely nervous to override UDT instance tag properties - not that I try to do this regularly regardless, but sometimes it's inevitable

1 Like

If I understand what I normally see correctly, then normally when IA identifies a known bug being discussed in a forum post, they add a ticket number to the title. Since none is present, I'm guessing that there isn't a support or bug ticket open on this yet?

1 Like

That's what I would assume as well. I have an issue currently with possible corruption of one of my UDT definitions (after multiple upgrades over time) where I can't overwrite it as it brings up an error (e.g. if you try to sync tags via the EAM, it will do this), and support asked if I'd tried to delete the UDT definition and then paste the tag json back in. But that then triggered my memory of this bug lead me to find and bump it

1 Like

I also am forced to override quite a few things, such as OPC Item paths in order to populate my tags. Whenever I try to update my UDT's using EAM I lose those overrides and the modbus addresses I had to manually populate would be gone.

I hope this is something that they can fix.

This was brought up over a year ago, and there have been MASSIVE changes to UDTs since that time. Are you also using 8.1.0, @Cole_Townsend ? If not, what version are you using?

My apologies. I made a mistake here. Instead of overriding a UDT instance's property, I was 'overriding' (changing the opc item path in the definition locally) the definition of the UDT which will get overwritten when pushed from EAM. I believe that is the correct functionality for this. I did just test the overrides on the individual instances and those seem to persist when I push updates to the UDT definition.

I believe I can work around the specific issue I was having now that I see what I was doing wrong.

1 Like