[BUG] 8.1.4-rc1 Designer crashes multiple times a day

Back in the DOS days before the internet when we all had our own BBS, I didn't like Macs because I felt like their developability was limited, and I viewed windows as being a buggy rip off of the Mac OS. Nevertheless, when windows took over, I stuck with the PC up until Vista. For me, Vista was the straw that broke the camel's back. I guess I complained enough that I received a Mac as a gift for Christmas, and the Mac was like a breath of fresh air. Since that day, I've never looked back.

Vista? Did you skip the travesty that was Windows 2000 or dare I say Windows ME?

1 Like

Yes! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I did a four year tour of duty in the Marine Corp from '98 to '02 and I totally missed it, but I've heard many horror stories. Afterwards, I used a win2000 machine for G-Code programming, but since the computer was only used for that one thing, it wasn't too bad. I remember XP being quite problematic until the second service pack, but the only fix for Vista was Win-7, and it wasn't a free upgrade. What a rip off!

On my Vista machine, I installed Linux on a separate partition, so I would have a sane place to go to, but every time I switched partitions, windows lost it's restore points, so even that was counter productive.

As far as Windows machines go, 7 and 10 have been relatively stable, and 8's problems were mostly attributable to the learning curve because it is a considerably different interface from it's predecessors. That said, I doubt I will ever be comfortable with the enormous overhead requirements of those systems, and from what I've been reading, 11 is going to be the worst resource hog Microsoft has ever produced.

1 Like

@PGriffith
I just wanted to add to this (unless I've already said this before?), that I've only ever noticed this issue with the JxBrowser crashing while I'm using the Designer within an RDP session. I've never* had this happen when I run the Designer from my base. I'm curious why this would be the case? One of our customers' VPNs sucks so bad that we have to RDP into their servers to actually use the Designer - running it on our base causes the VPN to disconnect frequently.. But then we run into the JxBrowser crashing almost as frequently. However, I never run into this issue with another customer whose VPN doesn't suck and where I run the Designer from my base :man_shrugging:

*that I can remember

Maybe this explains why I don't have this issue. I never run Designer on RDP. I always run it on my desk, though it is connecting to Ignition servers via VPN and satellite internet (though Starlink feels a lot less like satellite internet than previous options did).

I don't really understand why a VPN would affect things, but stranger things have happened.
We're still actively trying to move forward with the upgrade to JxBrowser. It's still getting hung up on various showstopper bugs on one or more platforms, unfortunately.

Any updates or tickets I can follow for this issue? My team experiences this same crash multiple times per day running 8.1.21 with Perspective. Most of us run Designer in a Windows 10 AVD. I checked and my local gateway has 8 GB allocated and I think I'm usually below 50% memory usage.

1 Like

Also looking for an update, have been experiencing this with multiple perspective designer sessions open, becomes more prevalent if I walk away and don't touch either session for about 5-10 minutes then I get locked out of one of the sessions or completely crashed from.

Are you working in a remote desktop?

Sounds like a problem worthy of creating a support ticket for.
https://support.inductiveautomation.com/hc/en-us

No but if I worked remote, I think this would persist. The JxBrowser crashes, what Griffith was mentioning back in October. All I am doing is switching between views and different designers. Running 8.1.22, windows 10 env

The bug is already known and is in the jxbrowser. IA can't do anything about it until the 3rd party fix their product

That's strange, I've never had the issue outside of a remote desktop or within a VM

1 Like

IS there any update on this bug. This is super strange because my co-worked which whom we work on the same projects on the same gateways locally doesn't get this bug at all (last 3 years) however I get it 2-4 times a day. Same OS (Win 10), same program versions, same laptop almost (mine is 1 gen older).

This was fixed in 8.1.28

3 Likes