[Bug] Embedded browser fails to correctly start on b2019030502

The Designer Launcher sat at this screen for a minute or two before loading a project.

Opened another Designer window and it did the same thing.

Oh, this might be why…

Version: 8.0.0-beta0 (b2019030502)

[Begin Error Logs]

09:18:41.788 [Designer-Startup] INFO Perspective.Designer - Starting up Perspective module. Mode: Activated
09:18:41 SEVERE: [0305/091841.803:ERROR:connection.cc(1862)] History sqlite error 5, errno 33: database is locked, sql: COMMIT
09:18:41 SEVERE: [0305/091841.808:ERROR:connection.cc(1862)] Passwords sqlite error 5, errno 33: database is locked, sql: PRAGMA auto_vacuum
09:18:41 SEVERE: [0305/091841.812:ERROR:connection.cc(1862)] Passwords sqlite error 5, errno 33: database is locked, sql: PRAGMA journal_mode = TRUNCATE
09:18:41 SEVERE: [0305/091841.823:FATAL:material_design_controller.cc(169)] Check failed: is_mode_initialized_.
09:20:41.811 [Designer-Startup] ERROR designer.JXBrowserUtil - Failed to initialize JxBrowser
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.BrowserException: Failed to initialize or establish a connection with a Chromium render process. You are observing this exception as the render process didn’t respond within 120 seconds after the Browser constructor has been invoked.
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.(SourceFile:3684)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.(SourceFile:352)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.JXBrowserUtil.initialize(JXBrowserUtil.java:84)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.startup(DesignerHook.java:220)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$LoadedModule.startup(IgnitionDesigner.java:1769)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.startupModule(IgnitionDesigner.java:1076)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.lambda$loadProject$8(IgnitionDesigner.java:906)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.loadProject(IgnitionDesigner.java:905)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$StartupProjectDialogHandler.lambda$new$2(IgnitionDesigner.java:1833)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
09:20:41.906 [Designer-Startup] INFO Perspective.ViewWorkspace - Initializing JxBrowser Context with disk cache.

Reverting to previous nightly.
Cannot guinea pig until Friday at the earliest.

I am having this exact same problem with yesterday’s daily. It’s also hanging when I try to import a project.

My station is Windows 10.

Reverted to Version: 8.0.0-beta0 (b2019030402)
Everything seems fine (did not have to install a backup), except for this one weird thing:

…I don’t have Chromium installed, so I think this is part of Ignition.

This could be due to the upgrade to jxBrowser which went in last night. We’ll look into it.

jxBrowser is Chromium. It could be an artifact of the upgrade modifying the jxBrowser to a newer version which modified the versioning of the profile.

1 Like

Version: 8.0.0-beta0 (b2019030502)

I’m not sure what logs it wants me to look at, but I’m not seeing anything in the wrapper logs nor the gateway logs. Not sure if I need to adjust filters to see what error it is giving.

In the console, I see the following messages:
13:17:31.158 [Designer-Startup] INFO Perspective.Designer - Starting up Perspective module. Mode: Activated
01:17:31 SEVERE: [0305/131731.172:ERROR:connection.cc(1862)] History sqlite error 5, errno 33: database is locked, sql: COMMIT
01:17:31 SEVERE: [0305/131731.174:ERROR:connection.cc(1862)] Passwords sqlite error 5, errno 33: database is locked, sql: PRAGMA auto_vacuum
01:17:31 SEVERE: [0305/131731.178:ERROR:connection.cc(1862)] Passwords sqlite error 5, errno 33: database is locked, sql: PRAGMA journal_mode = TRUNCATE
01:17:31 SEVERE: [0305/131731.207:FATAL:material_design_controller.cc(169)] Check failed: is_mode_initialized_.
13:19:31.185 [Designer-Startup] ERROR designer.JXBrowserUtil - Failed to initialize JxBrowser

@grietveld I moved your post here as its the same issue. We’re actively working on it this morning.

1 Like

I installed the latest nightly build to resolve an issue with our Perspective project. I then restored our gateway backup from before we started having issues with our project. This seemed to resolve the issue until a few hours later. When trying to open our views in the designer I get the error show in the image below.

I looked at the designer logs and I see the following error message:

Time: Tue Mar 5 12:47:01PM
Severity: ERROR
Logger: designer.JXBrowserUtil
Stack Trace: com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.BrowserException: Failed to initialize or establish a connection with a Chromium render process. You are observing this exception as the render process didn’t respond within 120 seconds after the Browser constructor has been invoked.
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.<init>(SourceFile:3684)
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.<init>(SourceFile:352)
    at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.JXBrowserUtil.initialize(JXBrowserUtil.java:84)
    at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.startup(DesignerHook.java:220)
    at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$LoadedModule.startup(IgnitionDesigner.java:1769)
    at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.startupModule(IgnitionDesigner.java:1076)
    at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.lambda$loadProject$8(IgnitionDesigner.java:906)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(Unknown Source)
    at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.loadProject(IgnitionDesigner.java:905)
    at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$StartupProjectDialogHandler.lambda$new$2(IgnitionDesigner.java:1833)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Can someone please help?

I had to revert to yesterday's build.
More info here:

Mods: no hard feelings if you delete this post and move OP to the thread.

Hi Joe,

I think you are right. After digging deeper I see some of the same errors in the console. I’m kinda stuck with this though since our project crashed due to a bug in one of the previous releases and this release was supposed to fix that.

Thanks for reporting these issues, all - we believe we’ve identified a fix and should have it out in the next nightly.

It looks like last nights build fixed the issue. I do get a popup now when I launch the designer, show below, but I can still run the designer!

I tried clearing out the cache under my user profile by deleting the .Ignition folder. The error still occurs though. Like I said, not a big deal because I can still use the designer.

1 Like

We’re working on locking down what cased that Chromium profile issue in the first place, although the pending code which originally caused the popup will be back in soon, and once that happens you should no longer generate the warning.

1 Like