Bug in Report with Bar chart(?)

Is it me or does anyone else have the following problem:

We make a Timeseries bar-chart in the report and fill it with data.

Now switching between ‘Design’ and ‘Preview’ alters the ‘Bar-Width’ of the bar chart (multiplies by 10 so originally 3.500 becomes 35.000)

*) EDIT:
Same goes for the Gap Threshold…

By “Timeseries bar-chart” do you mean a time series chart with the pen changed to a bar style?

Yes that right. I have the same problem here.
I have first pen on style line and shape.
The second pen on style digital.

After switching back and forward between design and preview mode the Bar width and gap threshold are changed. Every time I switch the values are getting bigger.

Would be great if you could confirm this is a bug Y/N?

If not we must be doing something wrong!

Sorry for not replying sooner – I’ve been out with an injury.

I can’t replicate this behavior, and it’s certainly not expected. Your best bet is to prepare a small project export (including data) that replicates this behavior and get it to our tech support department. They can either tell you what you’re doing wrong, or file a bug fix ticket. Thanks!

Set your designer to a locale that uses a comma as decimal seperator (e.g. DE_de), then try again :wink:. The bug is reproducable for all properties of the report designer that allow float values.
There was a similar problem some time ago, see here. You should really start to test new releases with other locales.

[quote=“KathyApplebaum”]Sorry for not replying sooner – I’ve been out with an injury.

I can’t replicate this behavior, and it’s certainly not expected. Your best bet is to prepare a small project export (including data) that replicates this behavior and get it to our tech support department. They can either tell you what you’re doing wrong, or file a bug fix ticket. Thanks![/quote]

Kathy, i hope nothing serious???

Were you able to reproduce this issue with the comments Chi posted??

I am not in control of the server hosting Ignition so i seem unable to change the locale…

Nothing that a few stitches, time, and lots of pain meds won’t handle. :\ Thanks for asking.

I have good news and I have bad news. I was able to replicate a problem with float values in another locale, just not this problem. :scratch: However, I have a feeling a fix for one will fix both.

Here’s what I did to replicate:

• I launched a French vm I have (Linux Mint, installed in French from the beginning to insure that all OS settings would be French, as well insuring Java would be as French as possible. Java sometimes caches info from its first install, which drives me insane when I’m trying to solve locale issues).
  • Launched ignition, made a report with an XY chart. Set the bar width to “3,5”, tabbed out of the field, everything seemed good.
  • Went to the preview pane, and back to the design pane. The bar width did not multiply by 10, but it lost the fractional portion – it was just “3”. I’m pretty sure I see where this is happening the the serialization (saving) of the report, which happens every time you leave the design pane. Now I need to think about the best way to fix it. Unfortunately, reports have to be serialized a little differently than Vision components, and that’s what’s causing the localization problems.

Hi Kathy,
the difference is that french uses a space as a grouping character (1 999,9), I tested in german that uses a dot (1.999,9). Thats why the value is multiplied by 10 for me and decimal places are cutted of for you during string number conversion.

Sounds reasonable. I had also planned to also test any fixes in an Italian vm (they also use . as a thousands separator).

The fix is done, and should be in the first 7.8.1 rc, hopefully coming out in a few weeks.

In the mean time here’s a quick&dirty fix:
set both ‘Bar-Width’ and ‘Gap Threshold’ to 0 (zero). It doesn’t look great but it keeps its value when switching form/to Preview…