[BUG]Shelved Alarm Behavior

Question about shelved alarms.

I have a handful of alarms that are shelved. If the alarm is active and acked when shelved, if it clears and then becomes active again what happens? Do I end up with an active unacked alarm that's just "hidden?" Is this alarm included in the [System]Gateway/Alarming/Active and Unacked tag?

I tested this myself, and yes this is exactly what happens.

Memory tag to test:

Toggle the tag and the alarm appears in the table:

Ack the alarm:

Check the system tag:

Everything is as expected so far.

However, when I shelve the alarm, clear it and re-activate it you can see that it does not appear in the table but the Active and Unacked system tag counts the alarm.

I would say that the Active and Acked and Active and Unacked count should not count shelved alarms because they are not "active."

What's really weird is that the HasActive, ActiveAckCount, and ActiveUnackCount do not include the alarm when it is shelved, but the individual alarm's IsActive does count the alarm as active.

I think this is a bug, or at least an oversight that needs fixing. @PGriffith

Hi @amarks, thanks for bringing this up.

Gateway System Tags under Gateway/Alarming/ shouldn't include shelved alarms to their counts. I'll create a bug ticket for this issue.

Under tag properties and into the general alarm properties, ActiveCount, ActiveUnackCount, ClearUnackCount, and HasActive shouldn't include shelved alarms either which is behaving as expected. When an alarm is shelved, then the ShelvedCount value should increment.

Finally, past the general alarm properties and deeper into the alarm's properties, these properties should indicate the actual state of the most recent alarm event. Alarm events still occur but if the alarm is shelved, then isShelved must be true as well.

Please let me know if this addresses all of your concerns or if I may have missed something.

2 Likes