[BUG] Unable to deserialize

Hello team- I have upgraded to the latest build, and continue to have the same issue previously reported- Perspective views seem to be able to be saved but when I try to re-open, it hangs for a minute or two, then an error window (view does not open).

Here is the console dump for this error:

08:34:49.704 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO designer.update-and-save - pushing changes [ModifyResourceOperation{resourceId=ProjectResourceId{resourcePath=com.inductiveautomation.perspective/views/Startup, projectName=PerspectiveTest}}]
08:37:20.788 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor - Unable to deserialize resource Startup
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.IPCException: Failed to get Browser browserChannel 5
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.a(SourceFile:488)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.(SourceFile:404)
at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.Browser.(SourceFile:350)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.design.BrowserPanel.(BrowserPanel.java:100)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.init(ViewResourceEditor.java:262)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.init(ViewResourceEditor.java:54)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.loadResource(ResourceEditor.java:58)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.lambda$new$0(ResourceEditor.java:37)
at java.base/java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.(ResourceEditor.java:35)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.(ViewResourceEditor.java:90)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewWorkspace.newResourceEditor(ViewWorkspace.java:266)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.open(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:191)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceNode.open(ResourceNode.java:135)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.model.AbstractResourceNavTreeNode.onDoubleClick(AbstractResourceNavTreeNode.java:179)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.NavTreePanel$MouseListener.lambda$mousePressed$0(NavTreePanel.java:655)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.notifyActivated(ViewResourceEditor.java:396)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.editorSelected(PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.java:69)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$2.stateChanged(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:86)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane$IgnoreableSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedComponent(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.open(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:200)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceNode.open(ResourceNode.java:135)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.model.AbstractResourceNavTreeNode.onDoubleClick(AbstractResourceNavTreeNode.java:179)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.NavTreePanel$MouseListener.lambda$mousePressed$0(NavTreePanel.java:655)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Consider performing a fresh install. IA has stated that upgrades from 7.9 => 8.0 are going to be supported, but beta => beta can break.

1 Like

If you’re comfortable with it you can send us your gateway backup and we’ll see if it loads here.

The gateway at that time was blank except for the global project which had been created from my 7.9 project previously. That had some scripting in it.

I tried to import my 7.9 GW backup again with no luck, tried to import projects with no luck.

Per Phil’s suggestion, I have uninstalled completely and reinstalled. When I import my 7.9 GW this time, it seems to have worked or maybe partly worked, but I have no ability to login.

LMK what steps you suggest I follow to provide you with good feedback. Thanks…

Please upgrade to the latest build and let us know if you continue to see this issue.

I’m afraid it got worse. Without the special arguments -Dperspective.browser.mode.lightweight=true;-Djxbrowser.ipc.external=true, I see the same behaviour as before- long delay with spinning wheel, same error, etc.

When I put those arguments back in-which used to work- I get this:

I’d love to get this fixed. Is there something I can do to my PC to help? Should I uninstall Java, for instance?

Well, we're not using the Java installed on your system for anything, so it almost certainly won't have any effect. We would love to get this working too - unfortunately, we haven't been able to replicate your issue on any in-house systems, and we're even talking with the browser library vendor, but they haven't been able to shed much light. After launching without any additional arguments, can you upload the full logs out of the designer?

I’m closing this post due to inactivity. If you are still having issues, please let us know.

It’s still the same. Designer starts, project opens and lists views etc, but if I try to open one, spinning wheel and timeout. I am developing using a different machine now anyway, but I assume this problem will die for good once I replace my laptop.