[Bug]Unable to save view

I saw this error on the current version of Ignition 8:
-Created my first Perspective View.
-View Window did not load [ie. no ruler bars].
-No branches on the ViewName tree [ie. next to Joe1, there was no toggle, so I assume root was not created].
(-This was my first time in Perspective, so I didn’t know that this was a broken view.)
(-Also I was reading a lot of documentation, so there may have been a delay between opening the project and creating any pages/views.)
-Clicked back to the main Perspective Folder to select the view as my ‘Primary View’.
-[Error Appeared: Details below]

I deleted the view and recreated it.
When I did so, I noticed that the View (with ruler bars) immediately appeared, as well as the ‘root’ branch (no need to toggle it open).
I believe Carl’s explanation regarding ‘losing connection to the gateway’ may play a part, but wanted you to be aware that the issue might not yet be resolved.

Thanks!
-joe

===================================Error Details=================================
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not save View 'Joe1'. Expected string, found JSUndefined
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:337)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:54)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:113)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.commit(ViewResourceEditor.java:155)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.notifyDeactivated(ViewResourceEditor.java:423)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.editorSelected(PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.java:63)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$2.stateChanged(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:83)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane$IgnoreableSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.PerspectiveNavNode.onSelected(PerspectiveNavNode.java:28)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.model.AbstractNavTreeNode.dispatchSelectionEvent(AbstractNavTreeNode.java:707)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.model.AbstractNavTreeNode.dispatchSelectionEvent(AbstractNavTreeNode.java:728)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.navtree.NavTreePanel$SelectionListener.valueChanged(NavTreePanel.java:551)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTree.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTree$TreeSelectionRedirector.valueChanged(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.notifyPathChange(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPaths(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPath(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTree.setSelectionPath(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.selectPathForEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.handleSelection(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.mousePressedDND(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not save View 'Joe1'. Expected string, found JSUndefined
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.JavaJsBridge.lambda$getForSave$0(JavaJsBridge.java:77)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniApply.tryFire(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.exec(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.topLevelExec(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.scan(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.0-beta0 (b2019011802)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.1

@joe.friedrich I moved your issue to a new topic so we can track it separately. I think the issue you ran into should be fixed by the work we're getting ready to merge in to change how project resources are stored, but just in case that doesn't fix it we'll have this topic open in case someone else encounters it.

See this thread for more context on what the current state of things is:

I’m experiencing the same problem/error when attempting to create a view with the most recent download. Any updates or workarounds I might try?

I have been working in Perspective for the last few days and have not experienced the issue again. I would recommend deleting any broken Views. A restart of the software, or a reboot of your local PC might not hurt. [We didn’t have to reboot the server in my situation.]

1 Like

This issue should be fixed in the newest build.
Let us know if you continue to see this behavior after upgrading.

Tested, and the issue appears resolved. Thanks!

1 Like

I am having a similar difficulty with 8.0.6 RC1. It is regularly throwing an error when saving. Our Ignition gateway is AWS based.

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.timedGet(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:383)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:60)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:160)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.commitAll(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:300)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewWorkspace.notifyProjectSaveStart(ViewWorkspace.java:281)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.notifyProjectSaveStart(DesignerHook.java:423)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.commitAll(IgnitionDesigner.java:1483)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.handleSave(IgnitionDesigner.java:1252)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler.handleSaveAction(IgnitionDesigner.java:2641)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler$5.actionPerformed(IgnitionDesigner.java:2229)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.6-rc1 (b2019102814)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.4